Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows 98 - Short Cut Aoltray.exe

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 gfloyd

gfloyd

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:12 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:00 AM

Hi,

Please be patient with my ignorance...I am not a hi-tech person, which will soon become very evident...

After I turned my computer on, a scan disk display appeared on the screen. On this screen, it was scanning - bad/good/clusters/hidden sectors...At one point, (not a direct quote) there was information stating that I not shut Windows 98 down properly, but I had shut it down correctly; however, during my previous session, I did unplug my computer b/c it was frozen. I know that I shouldn't do that. I also received a message stating that I needed to backup my files b/c of damage to the C: drive. My computer has been freezing sporatically when I am on-line.

I also received the following message box - missing shortcut - "aoltray.exe" It seemed like the computer was trying to browse for this shortcut. I went to the Trend Micro site, which recommended this site, to resolve the problem. On the Trend site, I tried to download a JRE, but I didn't have Java. I tried to download Java, but I received a message - "...exception JAVA Security Access Control Exception."

The most recent message I've received stated something like - "C:\WINDOWS\SETBUG.EXE" Is it possible to get rid of the "exe" files? Does any one know what may be wrong with my system - virus...? Please advise - thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:12 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:20 PM

What you are describing sounds like a hdd problem, for a quick look go to my computer, right click on your hdd, is't usually C drive, click on properties, click on tools, click on error checking. You can also go to web site of you hdd's manufacturer and download their diagnostic tool for a much better idea of the condition of your hdd.

Another thing to try is to clean out the inside of you computer, an accumulation of dust in the air intake or in the heat sink of the CPU can cause overheating which will produce symptoms like these.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users