Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Cannot Get Image On Screen.

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gypsyking

gypsyking

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:58 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

Last week my neighborhood had a power suge. It was such a powerful surge that it broke through the surge protection on my comcast box and reset the channel passwords. Anyway, my computer was operational after that until a few days later. I came home from work and my computer would not even turn on. I figured it was the power supply since the fan wouldn't even turn on and when I looked in it I found burned out transistors.

Next day i went out and bought a new power supply. Still no luck. computer turns on but I got no image on the screen, and the moniter indicated that it had no source. I figured it was possible that the motherboard got hit bad and the BIOS was lost. So I go out and buy a new motherboard and processor and memory, all BRAND new, and I start over from scratch on my machine.

I installed everything again and turned the computer on... still no image. Hundreds of dollars later I'm nowhere further. I'm having a friend check the video card on a machine in work so I'll know if thats the final problem by tonight, but is there anything I could be missing? Any help would be greatly appreciated!

PS: I used a grounder and kept in contact wih the computer frame throughout the installation. I tried extra hard to observe anti-static protocols.

Edited by gypsyking, 06 August 2007 - 09:57 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:19 AM

What about the monitor, did you try it on another monitor? I had this problem awhile back, but what it came out to be was the damn UPS that i was using...i did everything you did, went out and got a completely new computer and everything. BUT when i bought the barebone system i plugged it all up, and nothing! Took it back to the store they plugged it in and everything worked fine. That's when i changed my entire enviroment.

I brought the PC into another room, plugged directly into the outlet, had a video card plus the onboard video, plus another monitor. Booted it up perfectly fine, then what i did was eliminate one thing after another, made sure video card was good, monitor worked fine, etc. Plus i unplugged everything from the mobo just to see if i could get to the bios. Meaning no memory, no hard drive or cd rom. Then once it booted up fine with nothing hooked to the mobo i tried it one by one, plugging in the ram, then the hard drive, then the cd rom. Basically just eliminating everything from being the possible problem. Then i took it into the other room, all this just to find out that my damn UPS was causing the problem....

But hey, what can i say, i got a new computer...everyone loves that :thumbsup:

Edited by tripflex, 06 August 2007 - 10:22 AM.

There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#3 gypsyking

gypsyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:51 AM

I couldn't try another moniter on that card because the card would only connect to this LCD (I lost the connection adapter to use older moniters. I tried an OLD video card ald plgged in a different moniter, still nothing. But this card was old and possibly dead so it didn't answer much.

Still there are no POST beeps, which leads me to believe its not the moniter. Would there be a POST beep if ther is no vid card connected?

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:19 PM

The motherboard should POST on its own with no components installed it won't pass the post test but it should still beep. Try removing the motherboard from the computer and trying it on a non conductive surface. The new motherboard may have a different layout for the standoffs and it may be grounding on the case. What kind of motherboard is it, some have built in speakers for the POST beep codes some require the speakers to be plugged into the audio port. Also make sure you have connected ALL of the power connections to the motherboard. Depending on what motherboard and CPU you have there may be an additional 4 pin connector along with the 20+4 main harness.

Edit: Spell checked

Edited by Sneakycyber, 06 August 2007 - 05:19 PM.

Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 gypsyking

gypsyking
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 19 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:22 PM

I cannot believe I overlooked this.

The red switch on the back of the power supply was at 230. I switched it to 115 and the computer turned on and the monitor worked.

Problem solved.

#6 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 01:32 PM

haha niccceeee :-D See, that's kinda how i felt when i found out it was the damn UPS

cheers!
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#7 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 05:40 PM

Wow, glad you got it fixed :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm