Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't See My Desk Top

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 DebraJess

DebraJess

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

I have a Dell Dimension 8200. I bought back in 2002 and it hasn't given me any problems until now. Two days ago I turned on the computer and couldn't see my desk top. I restarted and still nothing. At first I thought it was my monitor, but I hooked up a friend's monitor and noticed that while we could see the XP splash screen at startup, as soon as it kicked over to the desktop - nothing. I retried my own monitor again and the same thing - I can see XP screen, but not my desk top.

I'm not sure if this is a hardware problem or a software problem. Can someone advise me further?

Thank you!

Deb

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 tripflex

tripflex

• Members
  • 128 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:28 AM

Have you tried doing a safe mode boot or anything like that? Did you do anything different before this last boot up...like install any new programs, do any upgrades on programs of XP?
There's no place like 0.0.0.0, i'm tired of being at 127.0.0.1

#3 Andrew

Andrew

Bleepin' Night Watchman

• 8,260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:30 AM

Hi, DebraJess!

When you say "I can't see my desktop" do you mean:

a) the screen is dark and nothing shows up
b ) You can see your background image but no icons/taksbar/start button
c) You can see only a blank screen of a solid color (not dark, like in "a" but some other color)
d) Something else altogether

Edited by Amazing Andrew, 06 August 2007 - 10:32 AM.

#4 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,130 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:35 PM

Sounds like windows Explorer isnt starting. With the answers to Amazing Andrews questions we can figure that one out. :thumbsup:
Chad Mockensturm 
Network Engineer
Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:52 PM

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del at the blank screen - does Task Manager open up?

If so, select File, then "New Task" and type in "explorer" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Does your Desktop show up then?
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 DebraJess

DebraJess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:28 PM

Have you tried doing a safe mode boot or anything like that? Did you do anything different before this last boot up...like install any new programs, do any upgrades on programs of XP?

I did try starting my computer in safe mode and that did work. I could see the desk top. The only thing I've done recently is try to download a movie from iTunes about a week before. That wiped out all the music on my iPod, but no other difficulties that I could tell at the time.

#7 DebraJess

DebraJess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:30 PM

Hi, DebraJess!

When you say "I can't see my desktop" do you mean:

a) the screen is dark and nothing shows up
b ) You can see your background image but no icons/taksbar/start button
c) You can see only a blank screen of a solid color (not dark, like in "a" but some other color)
d) Something else altogether

Letter C: It's a solid dark gray. My cursor isn't visible and neither is the start button or toolbars.

#8 DebraJess

DebraJess
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 21 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:33 PM

Press Ctrl-Alt-Del at the blank screen - does Task Manager open up?

If so, select File, then "New Task" and type in "explorer" (without the quotes) and press Enter.
Does your Desktop show up then?

Hummm, didn't try that. Now that I know I can access the desk top, I'm going to back everything up to an external hard drive. All my critical stuff is backed up anyway - this is for all the non-critical stuff that I can easily replace if necessary.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users