Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

I've Lost Control Of My System

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 username

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Local time:03:49 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 11:22 PM

I'm running XP Home. My puter boots normally until it's time for windows to start. Once it does, i can't do anything with it. Right now, i'm on my old computer, because i can't use the other one. I can't open IE, i can't open control panel, i can't open outlook, i can't open ANYTHING!!! I can hit cntrl/alt/del which show 20 processes running. I have googled them, and they appear to be okay. I can also access msconfig, and i've pared down my start menu, but it hasn't helped. I d/l'ed hijack-this to disk, and i tried to run it on my computer, but windows won't let me. The drive light come on, but then it goes out without doing anything. I have NO control over my computer. I can get my normal desktop, but that is it -- i can't do anything with it. I'm not very technically inclined, and i'm at a complete loss. Anybody have any suggestions???

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 paperghost

• Members
  • 156 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 01:25 AM

need more specifics - is it just crashing on you? as you can see the processes, i guess not so are you just unable to click anything or move your mouse around? do keys not do anything such as the windows key etc?

#3 nachtus01

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:03 AM

Try hitting Cntr+Alt+Del...then select file...then run...in the command line box, they explorer.exe. hit enter. sounds like explorer isnt running properlly. if that gets u in....put ur Xp cd rom into the disk drive...when it starts to run the cd, cancel it, and click start, run...in the box, type, (without quotes), "cmd". a new box will open. It will say something like "C:\Documents and settings\User" it may have more. type "cd.." until it just reads "C:\". then type the following, "SFC /scannow". what this does, is issue the command for windows to run the program, "System File Checker". this neat little program is on all versions of windows xp, and even 95 & 98, although it was called something else in those days. this program will scan your system files and compare them to the ones on the XP Install disk. If they are corrupt, or altered...this baby will restore them.
If that doesnt get u in, u might consider doing a system restore...if u keep restore points set.

Edited by nachtus01, 31 January 2005 - 10:05 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users