Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Ie Virus Problems

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 slobbadobba

slobbadobba

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:57 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:16 AM

Hi folks, a real novice here with serious probs on my pc. I upgraded IE6 to IE7 and found this Security page opens along with several others that are the same page. Have to close all except MSN and AOL and of course this damn Security Toolbar that opens and tells me my pc is infected with and I should download their Anti-Virus software. when IE is loaded a pop up says Im infected with W32.myzor.FK@yf virus. I ran a full system scan and this came up.. Infected with Trojan Downloader Win32.Zlob.ZWC. Dont know where it came from only know I cant get rid of it. My AV was F-Secure 2006 which was supplied free of charge via my bank. I also have XoftSpy, which is switched off for now as I downloaded Spy Sweeper with AV from a disk supplied with a recent pc mag. Ive also downloaded Windows Live OneCare from Microsoft and activated the software, but they still cant get rid of it. Im ata loss what to do. read about doing a full system restore using the recovery disks supplied via HP ( 2 of ). Read about going into Safe Mode and doing a scan but I cant seem to do that somehow 'cos WLOC wont scan in safe mode, neither would F-secure when i tried. This virus has slowed my pc down and Im quitr loathe to go into any sensitive web sites ie: bank or paypal/ebay in case the info is corrupted. Anyone got any ideas please? Im not a pc buff though I do have a bit of knowledge, only techno stuff makes me hesitant and wary in case i cock my pc up for good. Whats the best option? System Restore, Use the Restore Partition, or full Reinstall? :thumbsup:

Edited by slobbadobba, 06 August 2007 - 11:13 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:57 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

Use the Smitfraudfix tool in the link below.
http://siri.urz.free.fr/Fix/SmitfraudFix_En.php

Install Super Antispyware. Run it in safe mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.superantispyware.com/

Run the online scan for Bit Defender in normal mode. Allow it to quarantine whatever it finds.
http://www.bitdefender.com/scan8/ie.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Post a Hijack This log in the Hijack This Forum by following the directions in the link below if the programs above have not removed ALL malware. DO NOT post the log in this forum.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

How to Start Windows in Safe Mode:
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-start-windows-in-safe-mode/
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 slobbadobba

slobbadobba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:01 PM

AT LAST!! Cheers buddy215 for your help, the 1st fix did it. On IE now no virus ( I think) still getting multi pages though minus the Security page with the virus. Any way i can fix this while we're at it and on a roll? Sooooo relieved to know Im clean again...fingers crossed. Thanx once again, best HELP site on the market and quickest too.

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:14 PM

You more than likely have other malware on your computer. You should follow thru with the Super Antispyware and the Bit Defender online scan. Post back with the results please.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 slobbadobba

slobbadobba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:28 AM

thanx mate thats done my pc wonders..lots faster and logs on and off quicker too. Think I'll invest in the ones Ive downloaded and get the full versions. got another not so serious problem as its a pain. Dont know if Im allowed to explain here so I'll go do another blog. Once again, Many Thanx for your help. Reckon Ill be here for advice a lot in the future. Regards Lee Saxon.

#6 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 08:24 AM

SAS is free for the home user. You will need to manually update it once a week so it is available when needed.
Is the multiple IE page problem resolved?

#7 slobbadobba

slobbadobba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

Yes, everything is 'normal' now buddy, pc back as it was. Kep your eyes skinned for more blogs from me !! LOL11.

#8 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,200 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:36 AM

Since you are malware free you should set a new restore point and remove the infected ones. Directions for how to do that if you need them are in the link below.

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/windows-xp-system-restore-guide/

#9 slobbadobba

slobbadobba
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 28 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 02:01 PM

read about system restore and done it already thanx buddy215. I think we've done all we can to get my system up and running smoothly now. had a liitle glitch earlier when some software id loaded wouldnt get off my screen. I had too many spyware programs on my system and they were conflicting, so deleted a couple and now it seems ok. I never realised you can have too much security as well as have too little.lesson learned there. Im learning guys, Im a late starter where pc's are concerned and Im having to get advice all the time and learning through my mistakes. got so many damn books 'bout IT dont know where to look first, I am nearly 60yrs old, but, a young 56. lol !!Take care man and do your thing!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users