Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Empty Folder On My Desktop Can Not Be Deleted

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Billermo

Billermo

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:14 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:24 AM

I have an empty folder on my desktop that I can't delete. If I try to delete it, there is a pause for a couple of seconds and then I get the message:

Cannot delete FolderName, it is being used by another person or program.
Close any programs that might be using the file and try again.

OK

Browsing thru other people's posts here with similar complaints, I've tried to:
  • Make it not Read Only -- if I open the folder's Properties, Attributes have a little green square in Read Only, which I assume means it's currently Read Only. If I uncheck it so it's white and click Apply and then OK, when I reopen Properties, it is green again.
  • I tried to turn off Simple File Sharing. It didn't change anything for me.
  • I downloaded a recommended utility called PurgeIE/Delete Invalid File and used it to try to delete the folder. It also failed.
  • I also have rebooted the computer a few times and that has no effect either.
Incidentally, the folder did have some mp3 files inside originally, which I was able to cut from it and paste into a different folder (not on desktop).

Hope this isn't a tough one to solve. Any help would be very appreciated.

Thank you.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:14 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:27 AM

Try deleting it in Safe Mode.

If that doesn't work, try this free utility: MoveOnBoot
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 Larjo

Larjo

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:14 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:19 AM

Hi,
Often the reason these files/folders cannot be deleted is because Windows Explorer is 'aware of it?'.
I have got rid of a few with the command prompt.
1. Open Command Prompt window. (Start > Run and enter cmd.
2. Open Windows Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del).
3. In Task manager, on the Processes tab, click on explorer.exe and then End Process. Do NOT close the task manager.
4. In the prompt window go to the Desktop folder. By default you should see C:\Documents and Settings\YOURName
Type dir and Enter and you should get a list of files and folders. One of them will be Desktop.
Type cd desktop and Enter. (Note the space)
You should now see the folder you want to delete. (we'll call it 'wontgo')
Type del wontgo. (Enter)
5. Back in Task Manager goto File > New Task(Run) and type in explorer.exe and Enter.

:thumbsup:

#4 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:38 AM

OK I actually did boot into Safe Mode and tried that (after posting my question), and it did not work. The folder attributes still read the same, as Read Only, and couldn't be changed from Read Only nor deleted.

I actually have MoveOnBoot on my system and forgot to mention that I'd tried that one already, but actually you know it can only delete files and not directories/folders (at least not the version I have, anyway). The interface doesn't allow you to select folders, only files. If you select a folder, it only opens the folder to show which files are inside it.

Finally, I did just try Larjo's last suggestion. I followed it step by step and by the end of it the folder actually did not get deleted. However, when I went to my desktop and clicked on the folder itself and chose delete, this time it went to the recycle bin. Maybe he overlooked that last step.

Anyway, just writing all this back now in case anyone else comes across this same problem, this might be useful information for them.

So yes, the file is gone.

Thanks very much for all the tips.

#5 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:46 AM

I'm glad you got it sorted out. And thanks for posting back with your solution - hopefully it will help other members in the same situation.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#6 wildchild2

wildchild2

• Members
  • 202 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:12 AM

Did you have your music player open?
Maybe the folder was associated with that and therefore deemed to be in use.
Posted Image

Custom Desktop,Intel Core2 Duo, GeForce 8400 Graphics,Vista Home, 2Gb ram, 160Gb & 250Gb Sata HDDs, Triple Monitors, Belkin keyboard and mouse, Avast Free, Compaq Laptop, Firefox browser, Thunderbird email, HP C5380 All-in-one Printer,Speedtouch Modem,Netgear Router, ADSL Broadband, Fuji Digital Camera.

#7 Billermo

Billermo
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 110 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:09 AM

Originally I did, but that was 2 days ago, and I tried to delete it every time I rebooted the computer, always with the music player off. And also in Safe Mode.

I don't know why it wouldn't delete. Larjo's solution pretty much worked, so he may know better than I do why it wasn't deleting. He mentioned that it had something to do with Windows Explorer 'being aware of it'. I'm not sure what that means exactly. It's not aware of it any more and that's all I care about. ;-)

Edited by Billermo, 06 August 2007 - 11:17 AM.

#8 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:14 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:09 PM

Sounds like Larjo's solution is for an issue where explorer.exe won't release it's "hooks" from the file in question. This depends on if the problem is with explorer.exe or with the file/folder in question. If it's with explorer.exe - the behavior should probably continue on the next reboot - if not, then all is well and the tip worked well.

I wonder if this will work with stopping the occasional issues of removing a USB device that won't let go of explorer.exe in order to be "Safely Removed" - and if it does, then how would we run the "Safely Remove Hardware" wizard after terminating explorer.exe. And, finally, what will happen if explorer.exe respawns itself before the process is finished? Sounds like it's time for a bit of experimentation! :thumbsup:
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users