Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Continully Crashes

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 philrich

philrich

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:05 AM

I recently upgraded my computer from Windows Millenium to Windows XP - Students Upgrade version. The computer worked well for around six weeks but now it routinely crashes after ten-fifteen minutes of operation. It tries to reboot going to disc checker and then tries to restart XP at which point it will crash again. It goes through this loop several times until the system stops working completly and it has to be switched of at the mains. If left for several hours it will start ok run normally for ten minute and then start crashing again. Any ideas where I should strat looking to solve this problem?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,754 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:25 AM

The most common cause of this is a dirty computer, dust on the heat sink can cause it to not properly cool the CPU which has a sensor at its' base and when the temperature exceeds a set point it will automatically shut down the computer. A can of air does a good job of blowing out the dust bunnies, if you are going to blow through the fans place a pencil through the blades to keep it from spinning, this is real hard on the bearing. Also check the front grill where is draws air in for accumulated dust and pet fur.

One thing you could do is to look in the event viewer and see what the event code is.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:00 AM

Look in the Event Viewer located in the Administrative Tools, under the Control Panel. Go to each catagory and look for error messages. When you find them select the last 4 and right click on them. Click on the properties and post the last four here.
I am guessing it may be your video driver. Have you install any hardware since the clean install of XP?
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#4 philrich

philrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:22 AM

The following is the last four posts in each section of 'event history'

A) Applications
1 Source:Security Center, Message - 'Windows Security center service has started'
2 Source:Creative Service for CDRO, Message - 'The service has started'
3 Source:Security Center, Message - 'Windows Security center service has started'
4 Source:Creative Service for CDRO, Message - 'The service has started'

B)Security -None

C) System
1Source: Browser, message - 'The browserservice has failed to retrieve the backup list too many times on transport\device\NetBT_Tcpip<DD6D3545-2E82-4343-B9AE-D528A7FECB8A>'
2 Source:Browser,Message - 'The browesr was unable to retrieve a list of servers from the browser master \\PHIL-PC1 or IE network\device\netBT_Tcpip<DD6D3545-2E82-4343-B9AE-D528A7FECB8A>'
3 Source: System error, message - 'Error code 0000004e, parameter1 00000007, parameter2 00004eab, parameter3 00000020,
parameter 4 000000000
4 Source; Service control manager, message - The IMAPI- CD burning service entered the stopped state

D)Antivirus
1 Source: Avast, message - 'There is a new version of this programme availabee on the internet'
2 Source: Avast, message - 'There is a new version of this programme availabee on the internet'
3 Source: Avast, message - ' An error occured while attempting to update please check log'
4 Source: Avast, message - ' function setiface update packages () has failed return code is 0x200000004.dwresis200000004

In addition I picked up these Windows errors the last time it crashed

Error signatureBCCode: 4e BCP:00000007 BCP2:004EAB BCP3:00000020 BCP:000000000 OSVER:5_1_2600 SP:2_0 Product:256_1
Files to include in error report were:
a) c:docume~1\phil\locals~1\temp\wer9c0e.dir00\mini080607-02.dmp
B)c:docume~1\phil\locals~1\temp\wer9c0e.dir00\sysdata.xml

I do not think it is a dirt/heat related issue as I have cleaned fan and heat sink and have been running the PC with no side panels as I originally suspected a dust build up was causing the problem. ( I have suffered from this problem before.) The last time I had a dirt problem the PC carried on working for a while before crashing but did a few weird things in the process. This time the crash is much cleaner, one minute evrything is OK the next I get a black screen on the monitor with a message saying 'no input signal'.

I have installed several programmes since the 'clean install' these are:

Zone Alarm, avast, Mozilla Firefox,Creative Media Source, Sonic Stage, Sims 2,VAIOmusic transfer and Pro tools LE.

Look forward to hearing back from you.

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:18 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:50 AM

The STOP 0x4e error is usually related to system memory (RAM). It can be caused by bad RAM, or by drivers passing bad requests to the RAM.

The first step would be to ensure that you've updated your motherboard/chipset drivers to XP compatible versions. These are usually available at the computer manufacturer's website.

Next would be a test with this free utility: http://www.memtest86.com/ Read the directions carefully and let the test run for at least 2 or 3 passes. If you start getting errors you can stop the test right then and there (and presume that your memory (RAM) is bad).

Let us know what you find out and we can work from there.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 philrich

philrich
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 12:43 AM

Hi, tried all listed suggestions yesterday with no joy. Went back to basics and re-checked for dust etc. Took out cooling fan and there was an awful lot of muck between the blades of the heatsink. Cleared it out and all is well again. Thanks for helping through this problem. :thumbsup:

#7 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:38 AM

That is excellent. Sometimes the simplest answer is the correct one. It is good to see your computer is back online.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users