Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Dvd Player

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 dcanoli

dcanoli

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:43 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:53 PM

This problem is similar to jagrim's topic above....a year or two ago we installed a new Sony DVD +/-R in our Dell.

It worked fine for a long time, but then it quit recognizing CDs. The kids can't put any of their game CDs in that drive nor can I put any of my software in that drive. I tried putting in a DVD, and the movie came right up.

I tried posting this once a long time ago, but nobody had a solution.

I read through the above-mentioned topic, and the answer was along the lines I was thinking.

Do you think I need to open up the CPU and check my slave/master settings? I was pretty careful about how I set them up when I installed the drive, but of course, that was so long ago, I can't remember now what they are set on.

Why do you think this DVD drive is no longer accepting CDs?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:43 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

The reason that I had suggested that the jumpers be changed is that the other situation was one of a pair of drives on the same IDE cable and that should be set as a master and slave.

If your DVD drive has been working all this time and is just now exhibiting problems changing the jumper won't change anything.

Another member made mention of the possibility of the combo drive failing and that one of the characteristics was that the drive would quit reading CDs first. I will do some reading and see if this can be substantiated.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:53 AM

Great thanks!

Like I said, it reads DVDs just fine.....I hope the drive isn't going....we've barely used it, and I'm sure it's out of warranty by now....

If you find anything, just let us know!

Thanks again.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:57 AM

One thing you could do would be to see if there are any up dates for the firmware.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:03 AM

Yeah, I tried that last go-round on these boards, and it didn't work...said everything was up to date.

I was thinking about uninstalling it and re-installing it, but it didn't come w/any software....so, I'm not sure I should do that.

What do you think?

I mean, the deal is--when you insert a regular CD, it spins, the light comes on, and then everything stops, and when you navitage to My Computer, it doesn't show anything in that particular drive...so, it's not even recognizing that there's a disk in the drive....

#6 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:41 AM

Okay, here's where I've gotten to, and I'm completely stuck. Let's see if you can help me out here...

http://sony.storagesupport.com/dvdrw/aspi.htm

Going thru Sony's site...it told me to pull up Nero's Info Tool to see if my ASPI Installation was corrupt.

Well, the System ASPI was corrupt!

So, then--it gives you the link I just posted above.

HOWEVER, when you click on that link for the download, it takes you to a whole other site with a LIST of downloads, and I can't decipher which one I need (or if indeed my needed download is still on that link).

Does all that make sense?

If you can decipher which file I need, please let me know. I'm hoping this might be a possible solution to my problem.

Thanks!

#7 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:45 AM

You could try going into the control panel> administrative tools> computer management> device manager and uninstall the drive and let the install wizard reinstall it and see if that helps. Sometimes it will help with the drivers.

Edit: I should also mention that you will need to turn you restart your computer after uninstalling the drive.

Edited by dc3, 06 August 2007 - 02:48 AM.

#8 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:51 AM

Okay, I may try that too, but don't you think I should try to fix the ASPI problem too?

#9 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:59 AM

Okay, now Adaptec is giving me a warning, saying two things are missing:

WOWPOST.EXE and
WINASPI.DLL

#10 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:04 AM

Your last response was being posted at the time that I was replying to your last post. ASPI are drivers, try the uninstall trick and see what happens, it's quick and easy to do.

Well, you posted ahead of me again.

Edited by dc3, 06 August 2007 - 03:06 AM.

#11 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:10 AM

No problem. I am updating the firmware right now, and then, I will try the uninstall trick.

Thanks!

#12 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,489 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:12 AM

Okay, now Adaptec is giving me a warning, saying two things are missing:

WOWPOST.EXE and
WINASPI.DLL

These are two of the four files that make up the ASPI driver. Try the uninstall and see if this restores the drivers please.

The drivers for the DVD drive are part of Windows.

Windows XP:
windows\system32\drivers\aspi32.sys
windows\system\wowpost.exe
windows\system\winaspi.dll
windows\system32\wnaspi32.dll

Edited by dc3, 06 August 2007 - 03:15 AM.

#13 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:37 AM

Okay, the patches on Sony's website fixed the corrupted problem.

I have uninstalled and rebooted.

#14 dcanoli

dcanoli
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 353 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:39 AM

However, the drive is still not recognizing regular CDs.

#15 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:43 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:47 AM

Have you tried using one of those CD/DVD drive cleaning kits? Here is an example (Disclaimer: I'm not pushing this particular brand of cleaning kit- it's just an example).
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users