Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

My First Custom-made Computer Build

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mikonnen

mikonnen

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:12 PM

I'm finally getting a new computer, but this time I'm getting it custom assembled from NCIX (I'm from Canada)

I'm really hoping to keep my budget around $1000. I want this computer to be as fast as possible for watching DVDs and light gaming (medium-quality age of empires 3 possibly)

Motherboard: ASUS M2N-E SLI ATX AM2 DDR2 Nforce 500 SLI (2PCI-E16 2PCI-E1 2PCI) SATA2/Sound/GBLAN -- $96.60
Memory: Corsair 2GB(2X1GB) DDR2-800 Dual Channel -- $184.99
Video Card: GeForce 8600GT OC 565MHZ 256MB 1.4GHZ GDDR3 PCI-E Dual DVI-I HDTV Out HDCP DIRECTX10 Video Card -- $174.39
Case: Antec Sonata II Black 16IN, 450W Air Duct 120MM Fan -- $119.16
Power Supply: FSP Fortron AX500-A 500W W/ 120MM Fan Retail -- $96.63
Hard Drive: Western Digital Caviar SE16 250GB SATA2 7200RPM 16MB 8.9MS -- $83.30
DVD Writer: Samsung SH-S182 DVD+RW/DVD-RW/DL-8X IDE Lightscribe -- $43.72
Monitor: Samsung SyncMaster 931BW 19IN Widescreen Glossy LCD Monitor 2000:1 1440X900 2MS HDCP VGA DVI-D -- $252.32
Processor: AMD Athlon 64 X2 6000+ Dual Core Processor Socket AM2 Windsor 3.0GHZ 2000FSB 2X1MB 90NM -- $221.63

They're going to assemble it and test it out for $50

TOTAL = $1,269.90 (Will be lower; they didn't add the sales discounts)

I'm a bit worried about the Samsung 19" DVI-D to GeForce 8600GT DVI-I ... do I need special cables for that? I'm planning to plug my current BenQ 17" DVI-I to the dual DVI-I video card too - will it be okay?

Also, how long will this computer last? My friend keeps on telling me that custom-built computers only last 3-4 years while pre-made ones from Compaq and HP last 10+ years. Is it true?

Will everything work together properly? This is my first time selecting parts for a custom-made computer, so any comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:39 PM

to answer your question about DVI-I and DVI-D read this (actually scroll down to the "Connectors" section first). the answer is it will work.

As for how long will it last. Assuming you take care of it and an act of god doesnt occur it should become outdated before it buys the farm (technically this would be 3 days after the warrenty ran out, LOL). Which is better Custom builds or Assembly line thats up in the air but think of it in another form say a Rolls-Royce vs a Kia

Posted Image

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:56 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:42 AM

I'll add my two cents worth: If you use quality components, a custom built will last longer than an off the shelf. This machine is perfectly capable of running vista. The one that I am on now was built in 2001, and still runs better than anything that can be purchased such as hp, compaq, gateway, etc. However you should know that I built it using workstation level parts; Tyan serverboard, 4 gig ram, dual Athlon MP 1900+(upgrade), 3d labs wildcat video, RAID 5 @ 10k, (6 SCSI HDDs, 18Gig ea) and DVD Burner (again an upgrade). If you make a good custom build, I expect to get a minimum of 8 years effective life. I spent about 3500 initially, but my upgrades over the life so far have only cost me about 450.00.

Off the shelf machines use cheap, low bidder parts, and most lack the expansion capabilities need for a longer life. Actually, this machine is a Mercedes, off the shelf is a Trabant.

Edited by oldf@rt, 06 August 2007 - 12:43 AM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:56 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:29 PM

Great thing about custom builds is that once they are outdated, you can either chose to make some major upgrades, or keep them as something else, like a fileserver. I have a windows 98 era machine with some scrapped on parts that runs fine for aim and the like (running linux of course), and another rig (around windows ME time) that works as a backup server for the other computers. All I needed extra was a big harddrive and I was good to go.

Another great use for an old computer if you are a file sharing kind of person: http://nerdica.com/?p=30

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users