Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Transfer Data From Old To New Computer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 calc3

calc3

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:15 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:27 PM

I am getting a new laptop, Toshiba, and need assistance in transferring all my data, programs, bookmarks, etc. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks Calc3

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:15 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:30 PM

We need to know the old computer operating system and the new computer operating system, please.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 calc3

calc3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

The old computer is a Toshiba, Windows XP and the new one is also XP.

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:49 PM

Very easy, just use the windows xp file and settings transfer wizard {Start, All Programs, Accessories, System Tools} along with an easy transfer cable, flash drive, external hard drive, etc. Save the files and settings from the old computer on the device, hook up to the new computer, run the wizard and tell it that the files are on {X} device.

#5 calc3

calc3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

I assume you mean to choose one of the options. If I get a flash drive how much memory should I get?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:04 PM

Sorry, any one of those items will work. On the flash drive size it depends on how much data that you have. Right click on the documents and settings folder in windows explorer, and under the general tab it will tell you the size.

My preferred method is a network with both the old and new computers hooked up. If you have a router, that would be best.

The second best is the easy file transfer cable, followed by the external drive, the flash drive being last, as it is easy to exceed your drive size.

#7 calc3

calc3
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

Thanks for the advice. I am relatively new to managing my computer on my own and it's good to know that there is help available. Calc3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users