Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating System And Recovery Console

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 mshell

mshell

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:26 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

ok im new to this whole fourm and posting thing, and quite the lil problem, so please bare with me and my story. It would probably fit under a few catagories. lol. Ok, so here's how it all started. O-yea, i guess i should say that im running windows xp home on a hp desktop. Ok. First i noticed one day that my disk drive wasnt working, wouldnt open or close or anything, however it did have the lil power lite lit. Then i noticed that also in my computer it didnt even show that i had a E: drive at all. Also i had a few other things that had gone screwy. strange things like suddenly i couldnt defragment, it wouldnt do even analyis the drive. Windows installer quit working on me, sometimes i couldnt get into computer managment sometimes I could, and one day outta the blue my disk drive shows up and the disk drive it self open closed ran fine and then just as suddenly dissapeared again. Sooo, i was diggin around and trin to see what i could figure out and i think i might have (dont laugh to hard) changed my boot code in the config. utility menu. Now i know better than this, it was purley accidental but suddenly my pc restarted and then, of course, pc can no longer find operating system. So recovery console right, well when i went there it told me that the recovery console was either missing files,damaged, or corrupted by virus. Which really makes no difference cause my disk drive wasn't working and its not like i could have used my recovery cds anyhow. Now to my 2 quetions. #1 besides what i think i caused, what could have caused so many things to go screwy? virus i didnt catch mabe? im clueless. #2. is there a way to get to the hard drive and at least salvage some of my files? music and pics mostly. and im still not sure that the first problem with the disk drive isnt the drive it self. if soi'd just install a new one and then i could reinstall windows, but like i said, can i salvage anything, and how would i go about if i can. ok thats it, sorry for the novel, i tend to be long winded and over explain things (so my husband tells me)somtimes. I'll be grateful for any advice. THANKS!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:22 AM

Since data recovery is a priority here, I'd first check your hard drive with a bootable diagnostic utility that you can download from the hard drive manufacturer. This will tell you if your hard drive is dead or not.

After that we can pursue either repairing your Windows installation (if the hard drive is still good), or salvaging your data (if possible) and replacing the hard drive and installing a new copy of the OS.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 mshell

mshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:06 AM

yes but what difference willl that make? cause arnt i bascially screwed if my disk drive or cd-rom what ever you want to call it, isnt working? even if i could download a bootable diagnostic utility(which i have no idea what a bootable diagnostic utility is) what would i do with it? do i need to replace my cd rom drive and see if it will pick up and run a cd? or should i just take my pc to someone and see if they can acess my harddrive another way? i;m so lost on this matter!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,030 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:26 PM

Posted 11 August 2007 - 03:42 AM

Have you tried a last good configuration or a system restore?

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 mshell

mshell
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:03 AM

hell i cant even get that far. i start my pc and i get a black screen that says it cant find a operating system

#6 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,076 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 07:23 AM

You should double check to ensure that the CD drive is bad. To do this, you'll have to enter Setup when the system first boots. With HP's this is usually done by pressing F10 as the system first boots. You can also press "Esc" as it first boots to get to a boot menu - if the CD drive is listed there, then it's working as far as the system is concerned.

If it's available, then you can try booting from a bootable CD to check your hard drive. Simply go to the website of your hard drive manufacturer and download the bootable diagnostic from there. Each website has instructions on how to make the disk bootable.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users