Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Have Been Infected By Virusprotect Pro Adware Can't Remove It

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 robin732

robin732

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:24 PM

Hi all,

I need your help! I was looking at some videos on the internet yesterday and one of them gave me a popup that said I needed to install an ActiveX add-on to view the video, so I clicked the ok button and instead of getting the video I got adware installed on my computer that I can not remove. It is located in my WIndows Taskbar and it looks like a knock-off on Windows Defender with a red shield with a white X in the center and then changes to a blue shield with a ? in the center. Every 20 minutes or so I get a popup bubble from it that says that it has detected spyware on my computer and that I should click here to get the updated version of there software that will remove the problem. When you click the bubble it takes you the the VirusProtect Pro website where it tells you that you need to purchase there software to remove the problem as if you try to remove it manually you can damage your computer.

Now, I am unsure how this happened in the first place since I had several layers of protection running on my computer to start with such as: McAfee Security Center, xp-AntiSpy, Advanced Spyware Remover, RogueRemover, Easy Cleaner, Abexo Registry Cleaner, Spyware Terminator and jv16. I have run all of them and none have worked yet. Can anyone tell me what I can do to get this thing off of my computer that will not cost me anything or at least not a fortune.

Thanks in advance for the help.

FYI: I am running WinXP Pro and IE7

Edited by robin732, 05 August 2007 - 04:30 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Hi, robin732 :thumbsup: to bleeping computer. Please take some time to read the New User Orientation.

There is also some great information in the Tutorials.

We also have the Before you post about a problem, Some simple guidelines thread.

Now, on to the VideoActive X issue:

Try This:
  • Please download Rogue Remover Free from Malwarebytes.
  • Please save the file to your normal saved file location or the desktop
  • double click on rr-free-setup to run the installation program
  • accept the license agreement.
  • follow all the steps and click finish to run the program
  • Click the check for updates link
  • click the scan link to start scanning
  • when done, follow the onscreen directions to remove anything that it found.
Let us know your results, please.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 robin732

robin732
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:45 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:22 PM

Hello oldf@rt,

As I mentioned in my original post, I did install and run RoguRemover Free and I installed the new version and sellected the VirusProtect Pro from the list of spyware it should have been able to remove, but it did not work. I also checked the post from Grinler that he has regarding the use of SmitFraud Fix (the so called automatic remover which is 18 pages long to print) and FixVPP.reg (for manual use only) without any instructions on how to use the manual version.

The next thing I will try is going to use the Windows Restore utility to try and go back to before this happened unless you or anyone has a better idea.

Thanks

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:45 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:14 PM

Sorry about missing that, anyhow, the next step would be to try Superantispyware, Download and scan with SUPERAntiSpyware Free for Home Users
  • Double-click SUPERAntiSpyware.exe and use the default settings for installation.
  • An icon will be created on your desktop. Double-click that icon to launch the program.
  • If asked to update the program definitions, click "Yes". If not, update the definitions before scanning by selecting "Check for Updates". (If you encounter any problems while downloading the updates, manually download and unzip them from here.)
  • Under "Configuration and Preferences", click the Preferences button.
  • Click the Scanning Control tab.
  • Under Scanner Options make sure the following are checked (leave all others unchecked):
    • Close browsers before scanning.
    • Scan for tracking cookies.
    • Terminate memory threats before quarantining.
  • Click the "Close" button to leave the control center screen.
  • Back on the main screen, under "Scan for Harmful Software" click Scan your computer.
  • On the left, make sure you check C:\Fixed Drive.
  • On the right, under "Complete Scan", choose Perform Complete Scan.
  • Click "Next" to start the scan. Please be patient while it scans your computer.
  • After the scan is complete, a Scan Summary box will appear with potentially harmful items that were detected. Click "OK".
  • Make sure everything has a checkmark next to it and click "Next".
  • A notification will appear that "Quarantine and Removal is Complete". Click "OK" and then click the "Finish" button to return to the main menu.
  • If asked if you want to reboot, click "Yes".
  • To retrieve the removal information after reboot, launch SUPERAntispyware again.
    • Click Preferences, then click the Statistics/Logs tab.
    • Under Scanner Logs, double-click SUPERAntiSpyware Scan Log.
    • If there are several logs, click the current dated log and press View log. A text file will open in your default text editor.
    • Please copy and paste the Scan Log results in your next reply.
  • Click Close to exit the program.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users