Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Xp Home Slooow Since May Windows Update

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 rweil

rweil

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:41 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:58 PM

This is terribly long, and I apologize in advance.

After the May Windows update was installed, my computer became very slow. It does not seem to be the update scan problem noted by Microsoft and corrected by updating MSI. I say this because at present, the CPU usage with no apps running except Task Manager is as low as 2-3%. However, when I run Firefox, it can take between 30 seconds and 3 1/2 minutes to launch. As I write this, Firefox is using 93% CPU. My Eudora 7 email client can take as much as 2 minutes to launch, using high CPU. Windows Media Player won't play video, and often chops up audio as well.

History:
A new disk was installed in February, 2007 following a disk crash. All software was installed at that time. Everything ran fine until May 24, when I had to shut down to install additional memory. I gave Windows update permission to install an update it was holding. When I restarted the computer, the trouble began. (I have since run memtest86+ at the suggestion of DaveM59 at BC - it passed. I also ran defrag. It made no difference.)

Initially, Windows Defender was running at 100%. After I disabled it, the computer became usable, though very slow.

I happened to run IE, which I seldom use, and found it unusable. 1) It would not display graphics, only a frame with a small X in the corner, and 2) It would follow no links. That's when I suspected malware.

BTW, I run NOD32 antivirus continuously, and Adaware SE and Spybot Search & Destroy weekly.

I went through all the preliminary steps to submit an HJT log except for an online virus check, which would not work. One of those steps wipes out system restore points, unfortunately. I submitted a HJT log and an Autoruns log to BC. DaveM59 determined that there is no malware.

Since then, I did a Windows reinstall, which I understand doesn't really replace everything. IE now works, but everthing else remains the same. I can't watch video on Windows Media Player. Sometimes it won't even handle audio MP3s. Eudora is extremely slow to echo when I type. I literally can't do two things at once. When my PVR's guide server is getting program updates from the web, I can't use a browser. When my antivirus scans files, it uses 100% CPU. Most programs are slow to shut down. Windows Update wants to install a new installer, but it can't because of a goofy permissions problem that I haven't dealt with yet. All the time I have been typing this, Firefox has been running at 95% CPU. Anyone got any ideas, or should I just reformat and start over (sob!).
-Robert

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:41 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:17 AM

Check first in Device Manager (Start...Run...type in "devmgmt.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) for any devices with red x's or yellow !'s. Let us know what you find.

Next, check in Task Manager (Ctrl-Alt-Del). Click on the Processes tab, then on the View menu item. Then click on Select Columns and put a check mark next to IO Reads and click OK to exit. Then watch the CPU, Memory, and IO Reads columns as you open Firefox and any other program that consumes a lot of your system. Let us know which values seem to be too high (and which processes they belong to).

Next, check in Event Viewer (Start...Run...type in "eventvwr.msc" (without the quotes) and press Enter) for any errors in the System, Security, or Application logs. Let us know what you find and we'll work from there.

Edited by usasma, 06 August 2007 - 06:18 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 rweil

rweil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:48 AM

1. Device mgr:
No red x's or yellow !'s

2. Task mgr:
Some really big i/o numbers here - my laptop is much lower
While wmplayer is playing a music mp3:
nod32krn.exe 263,860
csrss.exe 248,660
lsass.exe 123,512
explorer.exe 39,692
svchost.exe 38,273
System 22,461
wmplayer.exe 230
The numbers at idle are similar.

Memory
Largest was svchost.exe at 38,273
wmplayer.exe 8,392

CPU
wmplayer.exe 96
All of the high i/o processes are CPU 0, 1, or 2

3. Event Viewer:
System - clusters of DCOM errors, today and yesterday at 3am
message: The server [string] did not register with DCOM within the required timeout.
A couple of individual DCOM errors yesterday, same message
Some warnings yesterday about old or outdated atapi firmware

Security - Today - Anonymous login messages from when I booted up my laptop, interspersed with individual anonymous logoffs

Application - Nothing today. Yesterday, lots of application hangs, all firefox, some security center starts and stops

#4 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:03 PM

The application hangs could be significant, since they're related to Firefox, maybe a complete removal and reinstall will help (this includes removing the directories in Program Files and in your User profile). Don't forget to save your bookmarks.

The first 3 entries for IO Reads are out of hand - the first one probably being your antivirus (NOD32). Try the test again when the antivirus isn't supposed to be scanning your system and see if it decreases.

The csrss.exe and lsass.exe are a concern. I'd try using Process Explorer (free from here: http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysintern...ssExplorer.mspx ) to see if you can isolate what's causing it to run so high. In my case, my excessive csrss.exe disk IO's are caused by Halo2 for Vista - and a reboot brings them back into line.

I'm concerned about the ATAPI errors tho' - because they can relate to the excessive IO Reads - maybe updating your motherboard/chipset drivers will fix that.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 rweil

rweil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 04:25 PM

John-
I will take your suggestion and completely delete Firefox and see whether that solves its slow exit. That's the reason for the hangs, it's so slow to shut down (since the MS update) that I often kill it with taskmgr or by dumping it in mid-operation. It's common to get a "not responding" message - I think that's just a timeout - and that counts as a hang. I try to use Firefox as I used to do, for example to launch a video, only to find that it's slowed nearly to a standstill. The only way to exit in a reasonable time is to abort it. I actually have already reinstalled Firefox, but without deleting it thoroughly as you suggest. I recently installed Opera, and it has many of the same problems, as does Netscape.

The I/O reads are really a puzzle. If I shut down NOD32 than restart it, its I/O is reasonable, but three hours later, it has climbed back up. Right now, it's just under 900,000! BTW, that is NOT the scan, it's just Nod32's kernel that runs the other functions. It uses very little CPU, whereas the scan uses 100%. I can't stop and restart csrss or lsass, but if I restart XP, their I/O reads start at a reasonable level. I have looked at the system idling with Process Explorer and with Process Monitor and nothing jumps out at me. I'm not sure how to recognize DLLs or handles that are causing trouble, and I don't know beans about Procmon.

I guess I'd better track down those atapi messages also, though they predate the present mess. The motherboard is fairly new, but it must have an outdated driver.

You know, I have so many hours into this problem, maybe the smart thing to do is to cut my losses and reformat and do a clean install. I could have done that in less time than I've spent chasing this thing. Thanks very much for your advice and your service.
-Robert

#6 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 05:49 AM

Reformatting and a clean install should help things - but you'll have to ensure that you get the latest updates for your drivers and the latest updates for the programs that you have installed.

#7 bluesjunior

bluesjunior

• Members
  • 761 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:41 AM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:09 AM

A while back I was having similar though not so severe problems with my PC. Also started after a Windows Update around May. Then on rebooting my PC for something I got the message that a file or something was missing and was strongly advised to let Chdsk scan my PC. I allowed it to finish and it found some files which had corrupted and were replaced from a backup. When it was over and my PC started up I found that my PC was back running as normal.

Not sure if it will help but it can't do any harm to run a checkdisc scan and see if it cures the problem.
Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3, CPU: AMD Athlon II X3 450 Processor, Memory: OCZ 4GB (2x2GB) DDR3 1333MHz,Graphics: PowerColor HD 5750 1GB GDDR5,
PSU: Corsair 430W CX PSU 4x SATA 1x PCI-E, Hard Drive:Samsung SpinPoint F3 500GB Hard Drive SATAII 7200rpm 16MB Cache.

#8 rweil

rweil
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 08 September 2007 - 06:28 PM

Well, John, at last I have solved the problem. I did several reformats/clean installs. In each case, things started out promising, but grew worse and worse as I installed the apps I had before. I went down a number of blind alleys trying to identify the offender. Finally, I was forced to consider the motherboard. I replaced it a couple of weeks ago, reformatted again, installed XP and all my apps, and everything is working fine. I guess that something MS downloaded in May added just enough CPU loading that it exposed a previous failure affecting motherboard performance. Thanks again for your help.
-Robert

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,090 posts
  •  

Posted 09 September 2007 - 06:07 AM

It's good to hear that you got it fixed! Thanks for letting us know!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users