Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Motherboard Upgrade

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 aalflyguy

aalflyguy

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:03 PM

I have a Compaq Presario Laptop 1600i. It has a 300mhz CPU and 192mb of RAM. It was originally delivered with Windows 98. I successfully upgraded the op sys to Windows XP, SP2 and installed a larger 20GB HDD. The laptop is in excellent shape with 2 good li-ion batteries, AC and DC chargers and a desktop docking station. My question: Can the motherboard be upgraded? How much would a new mobo cost, where would I get it and could a diyer do it himself? Thanks for your advice.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DJBPace07

DJBPace07

• BC Advisor
  • 4,869 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:07 PM

No, a motherboard cannot be upgraded due the way a laptop is constructed. At least, not without considerable effort.

3939.png

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:13 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:46 PM

Even if you could find a better motherboard that would fit in the same form and thermal envelope, it would probably cost more than a new laptop unless you bought it in lots of 1000.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:54 PM

Most laptops are designed around the main board, the only one that would fit would be one from that series, and we are talking four hours time from an experienced laptop tech.

The shop where I work charges 115 per hour for laptop work (clean booth only)

you would need New mainboard 200.00
New CPU 150.00
New RAM 120.00
labor 460.00

These are estimates for parts, not labor.

Not cost effective.

cpu replacement is possible, but still takes four hours.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:27 PM

I don't want to question you oldf@rt, but I upgraded a laptops processor before and it took about 15 minutes, counting opening and closing it.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:13 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:02 PM

No worries, I have seen a couple that took only a few minutes, the laptops had a special access underneath the keyboard. These took about 45 minutes. Most are blocked by the heatsink and fan combo, which can only be removed by disassembling everything else. Plus working from the clean booth adds time.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users