Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Thumb Drive Won't Work

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 Enderdrm

Enderdrm

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

I have an Attache' 2 GB thumb drive that works fine in 3 other computers. When I plug it into mine, I can't see the files that are on it. I can see the drive in My Computer. I also cannot put anything on the drive. When I try to I get an error:

ERROR COPYING FILE OR FOLDER
Cannot copy (filename): Cannot find the specified file.
Make sure you specify the correct path and file name.

I know the filename is correct as I am dragging and dropping it into the thumb drive. I had this problem once before but don't remember how I fixed it. I'm sure it was some setting on this computer that was wrong.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Oh yea, Windows XP Pro OS.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:32 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

You could try saving all the files onto one of the computers where the drive does work properly. Then reformat the USB drive to FAT32. Copy the files back again and test it on the problem PC.

If this doesn't work try uninstalling all the USB drivers. XP will reinstall them on the next restart.

Control Panel > double-click System > Hardware tab > Device Manager button
Click the plus sign to the left of the entry Universal Serial Bus controllers. For each of the entries listed there right-click on the entry and select Uninstall. When all have been removed restart your PC and retest the flash drive.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users