Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

External Hard Drive

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Slomoz

Slomoz

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

Background: A friend had a shop replace the hard drive on his Dell with a larger unit. He gave me the OEM unit which I put in an USB enclosure and am using as an external hard drive. No problems. When I turned on my computer after plugging in the new external hard drive, my computer found it and seemed to go through a process of recognizing everything it contained.
This "new" hard drive contains EVERYTHING it had on it when removed from his computer -- all the standard Windows folders, program files for programs he added, etc.

My Question: Can/should I delete all those Windows components and just start adding my own folders as I need them? Is there any special procedure I should follow?

Thanks for your help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:08 PM

I would at least format it, if you have xp I would use disk management and delete the partitions and start all over
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:02 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 07:57 PM

For future reference, you should really use dban on any hard drive you're giving away.

Posted Image

#4 Slomoz

Slomoz
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:02 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:39 AM

I would at least format it, if you have xp I would use disk management and delete the partitions and start all over

Done. No problems. The drive is now empty and everything seems to be copacetic. Thanks for your advice.

For future reference, you should really use dban on any hard drive you're giving away.

Good advice. My friend was assured that all his personal stuff was at least deleted, but everything was still there. Yes, I peeked, but there wasn't anything worthy of a little friendly blackmail.

(Edit: Corrected spelling.)

Edited by Slomoz, 06 August 2007 - 11:58 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users