Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Two Teenagers, One Computer, Help!

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 kalfaro

kalfaro

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:29 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:27 AM

Hello and thank you in advance to anyone who can help or let me know if I'm in the wrong place.
I have a Compaq Presario 2100 running windows XP. I start the computer and it takes me to the screen of "To begin, click your user name"....and there's nothing THERE!! I've tried rebooting in safe mode and every other kind of mode and nothing. My two teenagers are going to start pulling out hair if I can't this working. Please help before I have two bald girls!

(Moderator edit: moved post to more appropriate forum, added Topic Description. jgweed)

Edited by jgweed, 05 August 2007 - 11:31 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:29 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:55 AM

Welcome to Bleeping Computer kalfaro. :thumbsup:

Check out the instructions in Create and customize user accounts. Compare them to your settings.

Also look at How to switch between users.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 kalfaro

kalfaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:40 AM

Thanks for the reply, but I can't get to that point. I have to click the user name first and there is nothing there to click on.

#4 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

safe mode gives you no logon options at all?

are you absolutely positive you are in safe mode

the first thing you will see is a black screen with windows advanced options menu

have you tried last known good configuration?
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#5 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

WORKAROUND:
When it gets to the "Please click your username" screen (AKA Welcome screen), press CTRL+ALT+DEL twice.
Type in your username and password (if you had one).
Then try checking the settings as mention above.
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

#6 kalfaro

kalfaro
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 03:47 PM

O.K. When I tried Safe Mode and Last Known Config. they still brought me back to the Welcome screen which does me no good.
I tried CTRL+ALT+DEL, but as far as I know, there is no name and password set up. I tried some different names and none worked.
Thanks for all the imputs and keep them coming if anyone thinks of anything else. There was a big argument last night over the one working computer we have, so I'm thinking of using a timer before I start ripping my hair out!

#7 tswsl1989

tswsl1989

• Members
  • 260 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:29 AM

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:27 PM

Boot to safe mode.
Press CTRL+ALT+DEL Twice at the (blank) welcome screen
User: Administrator
P/W: <blank>
Press OK

This should log you in, and then you can use control panel to add an account/accounts for you to use in normal mode
Tom

Tswsl1989
Duct tape is like the force. It has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users