Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help Me Build/find A Killer Machine

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 rhennessy

rhennessy

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:31 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

I'm looking to build or find a machine that can handle today's games for around $500. I've been using work laptops for the last 10 years or so and would like to get something with a little more power. The last desktop I had I built myself in 1999 or so, it was a pentium III 500 and at the time people were jealous.
Any advice?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:46 AM

Even assuming you can pirate parts from your old computer, your budget is probably not high enough to allow you to build a really good, "killer" gaming computer, since you will want a high quality graphic card, a high speed processor, and several megs of RAM.
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Mr Alpha

Mr Alpha

• Members
  • 1,875 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:31 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:36 PM

Can't be done. At $500 your best bet is to get a low-end Dell or similar.
"Anyone who cannot form a community with others, or who does not need to because he is self-sufficient [...] is either a beast or a god." Aristotle
Intel Core 2 Quad | XFX 780i SLI | 8GB Corsair | Gigabyte GeForce 8800GTX | Auzentech X-Fi Prelude| Logitech G15 | Logitech MX Revolution | LG Flatron L2000C | Logitech Z-5500 Digital

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:39 PM

500.00 can get you an entry level E Machine or Acer from places like Circuit City or Best Buy, then you have to spend another 500 to 600 dollars to make it into a decent gaming rig.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 Dark Lord Valkrest

Dark Lord Valkrest

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:31 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:39 PM

I have a word for you...well a name really, "Hypersonic". These guys make "Killer" gaming machines. When I got my FX7 laptop it cost me a little over $5,000, but I got it FULLY loaded plus a 200 gig external hard drive. That was two years ago it should be fairly priced now. All I really know is whatever game comes out I can play it in the highest quality of graphics without lag, every time.

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,755 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:31 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:44 PM

I have a word for you...well a name really, "Hypersonic". These guys make "Killer" gaming machines. When I got my FX7 laptop it cost me a little over $5,000, but I got it FULLY loaded plus a 200 gig external hard drive. That was two years ago it should be fairly priced now. All I really know is whatever game comes out I can play it in the highest quality of graphics without lag, every time.

Did you miscount the number of zeros in this persons budget? :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 Sterling14

Sterling14

• Members
  • 1,842 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:24 PM

Well, for that low of a budget its almost better to get some Dell or something, especially if you need a monitor. If you do need a monitor though, thats going to cost you at least 150$ (LCD), so your not left with anything worth anything. Save up your money if you can.
"I think there is a world market for maybe five computers." - Thomas Watson, Chairman of IBM, 1943

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users