Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Error Message - Windows Explorer Has Stopped Working

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Jazzyian

Jazzyian

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:05 AM

I have just bought a HP laptop with Windows Vista Premium installed. When the laptop is idle for a while, the desktop crashes and the toolbars etc move around. If I double-click on the clock area, I get the error message "Windows Explorer has stopped working", Vista then corrects the problem. Is there any way to stop this happening.

Thanks,

Ian

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 aq2

aq2

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:57 PM

Had this problem and ended up reformatting the hard drive. First time i reformatted it was fine until I installed a "update " from intel and once after restarting the system guess what,Explore.exe was crashing again,So i reformatted again and HAVE NOT download that file and system been running good for vista.Check drivers and try a system restore if they doesn't help then reformat and start over again

Good luck

#3 23986136

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:01 AM

I am having the same problem but it gives me the option to check online for a solution and restart the program or restart the program. One I select one it just restart and ends up with the same message. I can't select anything with that message showing. What else can I do?

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,090 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:05 AM

Go to Start and type in "reliability" without the quotes. At the top of the window will be the Performance and Reliability monitor - click on it. Then click on the Reliability Monitor in the page that shows up. Double click on the errors and let us know what they say - from there we can see if we can locate a fix.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 23986136

• Members
  • 4 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 10:15 AM

I have tried to do this but the computer keeps freezing up with that restart window. I also see virus protect pro has infected this computer as well and who know what else. This is my sister's computer and it was no protected at all. It would just be easier for me and her to install windows XP instead. Is there anything I need to do other than installing the windows XP cd?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:52 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 02:27 PM

23986136: Please start a new topic, in the am I infected, what do I do forum it is better to devote a thread to one person.

Thanks, Oldf@rt
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users