Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

HELP! Connectivity problems!

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IcarusTheBright

IcarusTheBright

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:52 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 06:51 PM

So, I'm on my roommate's computer, which is connected to a netgear router which is connected to the internet. My other roommate also connect to the internet on this router. However, my computer likes screwing with me, and stopped working four days into having it finaly connected.

I tried absolutely everything. It's not the ethernet cable because I tested it, it's not service pack 2, it's not a dead port, I "power-cycled" the modem and unplugged the router for like an hour, uninstalled and reinstalled my network card, and I think I've narrowed down the problem.

On Matt's computer I did run>cmd then ipconfig/all to see all his network connections and bleep. Matt's is working fine as our router's IP is:

And his stuff is
IP address 193.167.0.3
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 193.167.0.1
dhcp server 193.167.0.1
DNS server 193.167.0.1

When I tried manually putting these (with the IP as 0.12) into my network settings, it won't connect to the internet, even though the network says it's connected. I think it's because when i put everything in manually, it said DHCP is not on and I think I need it for everything to work but when I told it to find IP address automatically, like it should normally do, it's assigning my computer the address

IP 169.254.242.254
gateway 255.255.255.0

Is there some way to fix this?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:52 PM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:48 AM

Now please Download LSPFix from:

LSP-Fix

Disconnect from the Internet and close all Internet Explorer Windows. Run then program and click on the fix button. Then set your computer to use dhcp to get an ip and reboot. See if it works now

#3 goldenc08

goldenc08

• Members
  • 47 posts
  •  

Posted 07 February 2005 - 05:58 PM

that ip that was asigned to your computer is a defult ip that windoes will asign it when there is no dhcp avilable try giving it your own this maybe what you put in before but here is what it should be

IP address 193.167.0.x replace x with a ip not used on the network
subnet mask 255.255.255.0
gateway 193.167.0.1
DNS server 193.167.0.1

#4 Grinler

Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,542 posts
  •  

Posted 08 February 2005 - 04:14 PM

Im confused..was that the error you received? Usually when windows cant find a DHCP server it assignes a 169.x.x.x address. Looks like you got one from a router on your network? Do you have a router like a linksys or something else?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users