Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:56 PM
In Safe Mode:
1. Click Start, Search, and then select "Files or Folders"
The ability to select "Files or Folders" is not available. The search window pops up, and the dog search assistant is on the left, on the right is the typical list of "files stored on this computer, hard disk drives, and devices with removable storage"
I tried right mouse clicking the assistant, changing the view, look under "edit" etc. No where could I type in the search words and where I want the computer to look. Any suggestions on how to search - can I search under the run command?
Below is what I was trying to do (not to complicate this topic,i.e., 1 post, 1 topic)
System: Windows XP
1. Norton subscription expired
2. Removed Norton products via control panel add/remove programs feature
3. Installed CA Security (free with road runner)
4. During initial use I recieved an error on the CA Anti-Spyware " Error PPCtl.dll is damaged and could not be repaired! This may be due to CA Anti-Spyware being run from an account that has insufficient permissions to do the repair, or the file being in use by another application that also uses PPCtl.dll."
5. Searched internet, followed some instructions which supposedly gave full permissions to the PPCtl registry. Re-started computer, no joy
6. Removed Ad Aware via control panel add/remove programs feature
7. Noticed that there was still Symantec products in the list, did a search via my computer and found a lot of files listed as "Symantec"
8. Found instructions on how to get rid of all Symantec products from when I installed Norton (had a lot of installation problems too)
9. First step is to put the computer in safe mode, search to "symantec" and "norton" and delete all files that show up. here is where I am stuck. In safe mode:
click start, click search
normal window pops up for searching, to include the assistant
However, the normal "what do you want to search for" with the option to select "Files or Folders" does not appear.