Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Nvidia Install Problems. . .

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 T

T

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:23 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:30 PM

Alright well first of all I guess I posted this in the right place. . .Feel free to move it.

Here's the deal. I went to upgrade my nvidia forceware drivers, just because they were pretty old (yes I know. . .If it ain't broke don't fix it. . .). So I downloaded the newest version (162) and uninstalled my old version (I think it was 93 or so). Installation of 163 went on without a hitch, but on reboot I found out about the problems with displaying 1440 x 900. I got it to work eventually through some custom timings, but it still wouldn't work in games. So, I figured I'd just uninstall and downgrade. That's where I've been so far.

Things I've tryed:

-Uninstalling through add/remove and then installing new ones.
-Uninstalling through add/remove and following directions on tweakguides.com (http://www.tweakguides.com/NVFORCE_3.html)
-Uninstalling, then using regcleaner
-Using driver cleaner 1.5, following the directions.

Nothing has worked. By not working, I mean this: When I boot up, I get no difference in the drivers being used for the monitor. The drivers seem to be installed (they have an add/remove entry) but there is simply no difference otherwise. I can't get to nvidia settings at all. The current driver being used is called "Vgasave"

Event Viewer doesn't reveal any results that seem related to nvidia. . .Unless you have any specific things to look for.

Any ideas? Maybe a repair install or something. . .I'm really starting to be bothered by looking at things at 1280 x 800 on a widescreen monitor. :thumbsup:

Edited by T, 04 August 2007 - 10:43 PM.

Posted Image

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:33 PM

Got a fix: Run regedit, go to the nvidia key (HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\NVidia Corporation) and then right click on the entire folder of Nvidia Corporation and hit permissions. Make sure that your user has permissions to edit it, mine was on special. Then I ran driver cleaner and installed like normal.

Posted Image

#3 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:56 AM

Thanks for the tip, I would have never thought to try that :thumbsup:

~Chad~

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#4 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:59 PM

Me either, just ran across it by chance after seeing that it wouldn't let me delete the key, I was trying the stuff drivercleaner does manually.

Posted Image

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,072 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:23 AM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 07:08 AM

Changing permissions/ownership of registry keys is a common tactic used by programmers to prevent both piracy and messing with settings that are very dangerous. It's frustrating for the user when it's those very keys that are causing the problems. Unfortunately, sometimes even the search for the specific keys won't fix the problem.

I ran into this with a customer who had installed Norton 360 with the wrong time set in his BIOS. It gave errors because of the incorrect dates. When he uninstalled it, it still wouldn't install correctly. Symantec's response to him was to format and reinstall. We aggressively edited the registry removing all references to Norton/Symantec - to include removing complete keys that had individual entries referring to Norton/Symantec (a very dicey choice on our part as we opted not to backup the registry). We also encountered some issues with keys that weren't able to be deleted normally (that's where the "take ownership" came in). End result - we guessed right, the system still works well, and the customer was able to install Norton 360 (despite my rather vocal suggestions to the contrary! :thumbsup:

If you try this, make sure you've got your recovery CD's handy!

Edited by usasma, 06 August 2007 - 07:09 AM.

My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 T

T
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 305 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 11:22 PM

If you try this, make sure you've got your recovery CD's handy!

Ain't that the truth. I'm sure we've all had some close calls with registry editing in the past.

Norton 360? ew. I won a copy of norton through a contest a while back, and despite being free (free as in beer!) I still couldn't bear to have it on my machine. Once, I was in a tight bf2142 match, and the autoscanner kicked in. 'Nuff said.

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users