Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Blue Screen Error - Have Absolutely No Clue What To Do

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Jelx

Jelx

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

STOP 0x00000024 (0x061902FE, 0xF89B06DC, 0xF89b03d8, 0xF8170F81)

NTFS.SYS Address F8170F81 base at F8121000 DATESTAMP 41107 eea

--------------------------------------------------------------------

The drive refuses to let me go into windows, so I can't run chkdsk /r. I've tried installing the drive as a primary slave and let another, newer, drive act as primary master. Somehow this drive overcame the master drive and disallowed it to enter windows too. Of course, the when this drive is disconnected from the computer the master drive works 100% fine.

Then I read this: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?...kb;en-us;228888

And I tried to do, as it says, and make the master drive's Windows XP go from NTFS to FAT32, changed NTFS.SYS to NTFS.OLD and, of course, the system still crashes.

I've also tried running several recovery problems. The Windows XP Installation disc will NOT work with this drive, somehow the drive also overpowers the disc and crashes the second I try to either install or repair the system.

At this point I don't even care if any of the files on the old drive survive - I just want to wipe it clean and get into it, but I can't even do that.

Any suggestions short of throwing the drive off a cliff?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:18 PM

Do you have the jumpers in the proper locations? You might want to go to the hdd's manufacturer's web site and download their diagnostic tool and boot from that to see if the hdd has problems.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#3 Jelx

Jelx
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:47 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:23 AM

I was able to solve the problem! :-) The article was right - I misread the part about changing NTFS.SYS to NTFS.OLD in Safe Mode, I did it in Normal Mode. As a result, when I restarted the computer, it appears, Windows automatically created a new NTFS.SYS, so my NTFS.OLD was sitting right next to a new NTFS.SYS, which caused the continued corruption.

So I went into Safe Mode, deleted the new NTFS.SYS, restarted and it worked! I performed CHKDSK and was able to fix the drive and change NTFS.OLD to NTFS.SYS! Now I just have to backup some files and get my new drive switched from a FAT32 to a NTFS.

Thanks for the help!

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,675 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:47 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:52 AM

Glad to hear that you got it sorted out. :thumbsup:

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users