Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Windows Xp Recovery

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 guncptn

guncptn

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:27 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:51 PM

Having read the previous 4 concerning XP Recovery am a little lost as have 2 computers of which one of the first things I did was make Recovery Disks. One took 4 CDs to do & the other 6. Since both these PCs came with XP already installed, where is this Console everybody has mentioned. I believe I'm at the point where I'll finally have to use them (the Recovery disks that I made) but never have done such an operation I'm very leery & hesitant about doing it. Both PCs are Compaq Presarios (different versions) & one has SP 2 on it & the other SP 1 (have ordered an SP 2 Cd for it but hasn't arrived yet & to download it from the Internet takes an estimated 5 hours). Also have been advised to re-install the whole windos XP at least once a year but not having a CD for the program have never done it. What's the difference or what is on the Recoverys Disks verses a complete Re-install of Windows XP (if the latter, then it seems making the Recovery Disks was a waste of time & CD-Rs).

Would appreciate any advice anybody could give me on this. Thanks....

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:27 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

"If it ain't broke, don't fix it!" The advice to reinstall Windows XP periodically comes from issues that were discovered with it a long time ago. Most of those issues have been fixed, but the system can still get a bit "lodgy" over time due to various things being installed on it. While reformatting and reinstalling Windows is a good idea (there's nothing like a fresh install to pep things up), it's not always necessary.

Are you talking about the "Recovery Console" that comes with Windows? Here's an article from HP/Compaq about it: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...ocname=bph07996 and here's another link on how to start it: http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/generic...&lc=en#N810

This is different from the Recovery of the computer, which is normally launched by pressing F10 when the computer first starts to boot. Another option is to stick the first recovery disk into the CD drive and boot from it in order to restore the computer.

Be sure to backup any valuable information before restoring the system. The Recovery Console will not affect your data, but can affect the ability to boot into Windows - and the other Recovery options have the ability to wipe your hard drive clean, so backing up is a necessity.

Good luck!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:07 AM

Depeneding on how your PC manufacturer designed the recovery discs you may or may not be able to install and run it to your hard drive.

The Console can only be run by booting off an XP installation disc (not recovery discs) or, optionally, having the Console installed on the hard drive and selecting to run it as a dual-boot option.

Running Recovery Console from the Setup CD or installing it to the hard drive.
http://kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

Installing the Rcovery Console to the hard drive
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

#4 guncptn

guncptn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:01 AM

Thank You gentleman for your quick replies. Going to take me a while to decipher & analyze all this & then take the appropriate actions. I'm really new at all this even tho' I've tried to make the effort thru the years to keep my PCs running.

"Why fix it if it ain't broke" I agree (use to be an ECM tech in the Navy & preventive maintenance was the key to the game but just doesn't seem to work with PCs) but this one is really getting squirrely on me even after recently installing new Antivirus/Firewall from Zone Alarm & just to night buying & installing Error Killer & Adware Alert which have helped considerably but still have other problems like just now I got kicked off the Internet & signed back on real quick to try & finish this. That's my next "post". Again, thanks & yea, I need all the luck I can get. :thumbsup:

#5 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:46 AM

Preventive maintenance works anywhere you use it. But with PC's there's many folks with different ideas of how it should be done - some I agree with and some that I don't. You just gotta pick what works for you!
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 guncptn

guncptn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:49 AM

Thanks,usasma, that's my problem? Trying to find the ones that work? Wish I had all the money I've spent over the years on preventive software & how-to-do manuals just trying to answer those questions. Just after I posted my last I was kicked off 5 times in less than 20 minutes with my 72-MCLL problem (which I had just got done posting). Seems I can never find the right answer for any particular problem. And I've spent untold hours researching & looking here & there just to solve one problem. Seems to me, with PCs, preventive maintenance is like shooting a shot gun at a target 20 feet away - you know you're going to hit it, but just where? Am still trying to digest Recovery disks verses Recovery Consoles & am going along your line of thought that I'm over stepping the problems...but now I've got to look for newer angles of attack.

Your support is most appreciative, believe me. Thanks........

Edited by guncptn, 06 August 2007 - 08:53 AM.

#7 guncptn

guncptn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:58 AM

Depeneding on how your PC manufacturer designed the recovery discs you may or may not be able to install and run it to your hard drive.

The Console can only be run by booting off an XP installation disc (not recovery discs) or, optionally, having the Console installed on the hard drive and selecting to run it as a dual-boot option.

Running Recovery Console from the Setup CD or installing it to the hard drive.
http://kellys-korner-xp.com/win_xp_rec.htm

Installing the Rcovery Console to the hard drive
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

#8 guncptn

guncptn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

Hello pascorr 22234

Have been trying to follow up on your advice. Do not have Installation disk as bought PC with XP pre-installed from Sam's Club (no Windows XP CD enclosed with it) & am trying to avoid buying XP program from Ebay (cheapest going for $83.95 + S &H). Have been researching going to different OS (yea Linex) but am not a programmer & all this chit chat about partitions, etc just sends shivers up & down me. Have been weighing the pros & cons of both (Linex & Windows)? Just tired of spending money on this program & that program that's suppose to be user friendly & protect you from the bad guys. Just bought & ran Killer Error & Adware Alert & even tho' they solved some problems one of them created a couple of others - just what I don't need? And that's it...I spend more time trying to solve problems keeping my PCs working than I doing actually using them for the intent I bought them for in the first place. I'm of the opinion of osasma that Console Recovery & my CD disk Recoveries are "overkill", at this stage. My PC problems haven't got that far...yet. Will just keep ploughing thru the tutorials & data bases, bound to find the right answers sooner or later...

Thanks for your support as it's most appreciative.

#9 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 01:29 PM

Actually, having the recovery CDs immediately on hand is very wise. Consider the situation you'd be in if you hard drive went belly up: You wouldn't be able to create the recovery discs because that data is stored in a hidden partition on the hard drive. At least now you are able to replace the hard drive and fully restore the OS from the recovery discs.

#10 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

Don't buy preventive maintenance software - we can suggest just about everything for free (FWIW - the only thing that I don't know of for free is a bootable motherboard checking utility). For starters, here's a link to the Freeware replacements page here at BC: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/topic3616.html

As for the confusion - that's natural. Everyone's trying to sell you something! I wouldn't be able to rip an ECM module apart to repair it if I didn't understand how it worked - so you can expect the same sort of learning curve with PC's (Please excuse me while I digress into lecture mode....)

The spirit of the online community is "users helping users". It's something that's kept this forum and others like it going for years. Even Microsoft recognizes the value of this with it's MVP (Most Valued Professional) award (and they provide perks to help us help out even more). I learned about computers years ago by breaking them. Then the tech would come in and fix them - and while he was fixing them he took the time to teach us what we'd done to break them. So that's why I'm here, I'm repaying this selfless tech's efforts by giving back to the community that gave freely to me when I was first learning.

The point is, that's why we're here. If you've got a question, go ahead and ask it. We'll reply (and will even disagree) - and the knowledge for everyone will increase from it.

The Recovery Console is a special way of getting Windows to boot into a "DOS-like" mode where you can do some stuff to fix it. It comes as a part of the Windows installation CD and has to be installed in order to use it. Different from this are the Recovery/Restore disks and partitions - which are designed by the computer manufacturers to restore your computer (without having to use the Recovery Console)

#11 guncptn

guncptn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:25 AM

hi osasma, just wrote a page to your lat & tried to post but got kicked off again (2nd time) by aol erro 72-MCLL - can anybody out there help me with this problem _ have posted to site _ no answers. Can't communicate as keep getting kicked off!

#12 guncptn

guncptn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:28 AM

Tried to answer your last concerning "freeware" but keep getting kicked off, sorry. Freeware is offered but to finish up "free" download & scan you always have to buy their program as "free" scan will find a million problems & only offer you 2 to repair - to repair the rest, you have to buy their softwar.

#13 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:27 AM

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

All of the software in the link that usasma provided in post #10 is totally free. You do not have to purchase it before it will work.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#14 guncptn

guncptn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:32 AM

Concerning original question about Recovery Disks tried to find "msconfig" last night to move some start up programs that are unneccessay. Found out, with a pre-install version of Windows XP I don't have the utility - is it on the Recovery Disks I made or do I still have to buy the whole Windows Xp program over again?

#15 guncptn

guncptn
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 06:39 AM

Can only communicate in short bursts before getting kicked off. While searching above in System Information found that all permissions or accesses suddenly shifted to new author/client & all at the same time? Didn't do anything to trigger such a responce as was just searching for "msconfig". What is going on here? Do believe its time for some MAJOR action - Recovery Disks or complete Windows XP re-installation? What do I do?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users