Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Home Network Problem

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 circa1762

circa1762

• Members
  • 2 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:31 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:46 PM

Hello.

I'm trying to set up a home network for my mom's desktop computer, which uses an Ethernet connection, and her Compaq Presario laptop, which uses a Netgear Wireless Cable Modem Gateway (to which the desktop is attached).

When I use the 'Set up a Wireless Router or Access Point' wizard in Windows Vista on the laptop, it tries to access the Netgear server to configure the network, but asks for a user name and password. None of the user name/password combinations we use will work on it, however. I've tried calling the Internet service provider (Time Warner), but they didn't know how to help me since the user name and password we use to access the wireless connection doesn't work for this.

Any ideas on how I can either find the user name and password in question or disable the user name/password prompt altogether?

Could the problem be that my mom's desktop operates on Windows XP (SP2), while the laptop operates on Vista? The setup wizards are different. Maybe that's it?

Thanks very much for any help.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users