Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Laptop Won't Run Windows 98

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 vtech13

vtech13

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:51 PM

Hi,
This is my second post and this question is about a totally different laptop. I just got this laptop for only $5.00, it's an IBM 380xd and it's supposed to have windows 98(I don't know if it is 98se or not). I know, it's really old, but my funds are very limited and I needed a laptop and my other one isn't working either(see my other post).
When I turn it on, it says IBM in the top right corner, ThinkPad in the bottom left corner and 064960 KB OK in the top left corner, then it flashes very quickly to the windows 98 startup screen, then it goes to:
Microsoft® Windows 98
©Copyright Microsoft Corp 1981-1999
c:\>
So, I'm thinking that it must have windows 98 installed, but for some reason it won't run. Can anyone offer me any suggestions how I can make it run win98? If you suggest getting a windows 98 bootdisk, I went to bootdisk.com, and downlaoded boot98se, a WinImage Self Extractor file onto this computer, but I don't know how to burn a cd so that it is bootable once I put it into the drive. I have Nero smartstart for my burning program. Thank you in advance for taking the time to help me. :thumbsup:

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 vtech13

vtech13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:55 PM

Hi,
I decided to reinstall windows 98se, cuz I have the cd. I put it in and here's what I got:
There is already an operating system installed on the computer and this version of setup is designed for computers with no operating system. It is recommended that you exit, reboot from your hard disk, and then run setup.
Press F1 for more instructions.
If you continue with Setup, your current Config.sys and Autoexec.BAT files will be replaced by basic wersions of those files.

I hit F1 and got this:

This version of Setup cannot continue. You need to run Setup from Setup Disk 1 or the Windows CD-ROM.
1. Remove teh floppy disk from the drive and then restart your computer.
2. Insert the Setup Disk 1 or Windows CD-ROM into the drive
3. If Windows is running, click Start button, click Run, and then type the following (if Windows is not running, type this at the MS-DOS Command Prompt.)
a:\setup
Where 'a' is the letter of the drive containing the windows disk.
If you are installing from a CD-ROM, type a:\Win95\Setup

Note: If you are reinstalling Windows 98 and Windows won't start, pres F8 when the message 'Starting Windows 98...' appears and tehn choose command prompt only.

I tried doing what it said, but it didn't work. Maybe I missed a step. Please help

#3 pip22

pip22

• Banned
  • 341 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:56 PM

As the Windows 98SE setup suggests, you first need to wipe the C: drive so there is nothing on it -- that's always the best policy anyway when installing Windows as having old files remaining on the C: drive when trying to install a fresh copy of Windows can interfere with the installation process. Make a bootable floppy from the 'boot98SE' file you downloaded earlier (that's all it is - just a small image file to create a bootable startup floppy disk, it doesn't have anything to do with making a CD-ROM).

Once you've made the floppy disk by double-clicking the 'boot98SE.exe' file with a formatted, blank floppy in the drive, you then need to boot from it. When you see the 'A:>' prompt, type FORMAT C:

Type Y for 'yes' at the warning message and let the format complete. How long it takes will depend on the size of the C: partition.

When format is finished insert the Windows CD, change to the letter used by the CD drive, give the CD a few seconds to 'spin up' and type SETUP.
It should install Windows now. When it's installed you may find some internal devices don't work (sound and/or graphics are the usual items) if drivers for either of them aren't on the Windows CD. If graphics driver is absent you'll still be able to run Windows but you won't be able to adjust the resolution or colour-depth -- they will be 'locked' at the default low setting until you install the correct driver. If sound driver is missing there's no default -- you just won't get any sound at all without the correct driver. You can get any missing drivers for your IBM laptop here:
http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss...itestyle=lenovo

Edited by pip22, 05 August 2007 - 02:01 PM.

#4 vtech13

vtech13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:54 PM

Well,
I reinstalled windows and everything seemed to go okay. The only problem I find so far, is my display is set to 640 by 480 and I can't change the size at all.
Any ideas?

#5 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:33 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:59 PM

You need to get the correct drivers installed, here is a link to Lenovos' {IBM} webpage which lists all available drivers, patches, and updates for your laptop.

for each device that is not working correctly on your laptop, download and install the driver.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#6 vtech13

vtech13
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:05 PM

Thank you, as I install wifi I'll go there and download the needed drivers. :thumbsup:

#7 ruby1

ruby1

a forum member

• Members
  • 2,375 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 AM

Posted 28 August 2007 - 04:15 AM

bookmarking (and learning ):thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users