Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Problems Reinstalling A Game

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 beowulf992001

beowulf992001

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:05 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

I bought GTA SanAndreas about a year ago, installed it and it ran great, played it for a while then deleted it, and now when I try to reinstall it, my comp will not even read the disk and when I try to install it manualy I get an error message thet reads "Windows cannot read from this disk. the disk might be corrupted, or it could be using a format that is not compatible with Windows." I have e-mailed the company and they cannot help yet, they are still working on the problem..

Someone Please Help

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 04 August 2007 - 04:14 PM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:05 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:56 AM

Sounds like you might have a scratched disk. Try the disk in another computer to see if it works. Also, try cleaning the disk with a soft cloth.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 beowulf992001

beowulf992001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:06 AM

The disk looks like new, as for putting it in another computer I have to find someone with a dvd drive and where I live that is not easy to find.

#4 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 08:08 AM

Are you sure your DVD drive is okay? Have you tried using a different DVD in it to check?
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#5 beowulf992001

beowulf992001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 12 August 2007 - 09:58 AM

It plays dvds and reads other disks.

#6 beowulf992001

beowulf992001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:54 AM

Ok I was wrong about that last one, one of my other games reads on the box that it is a dvd game but the disk is not, and when I put in a dvd movie it would not play.

#7 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:55 PM

Okay, first thing to try is to reinstall the driver for the DVD drive.

—George Bernard Shaw

#8 arcman

arcman

• Members
  • 706 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 01:49 PM

Most likely what has happened is that the DVD laser has gone out. DVD drives actually use two discreet lasers, one to read CDs and a narrower beam to read DVDs. You can still read CDs because that laser is still working, but the DVD laser is likely toast.

I would try a few more DVDs in the unit that for sure you know to work, if it still can't read them you'll need to replace the drive.
Posted Image

#9 beowulf992001

beowulf992001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:18 PM

Thank you Budapest and Arcman, My drivers are up to date, so I am going with arcman because it seems to be the one that fits.

#10 Adras

Adras

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:54 PM

I've had my DVD drive go out on me before, but I didnt have the good luck of it still being able to read CD's. I would suggest either checking online for a new drive, or going to a computer store in your town. I just bought a used DVD R/RW and a DVD drive for $5 a piece. They both work just fine, and even if they didnt, you would only be out $5. If you are looking for a brand new one, like I said, check online because chances are you can find a decent one for $35 or so.

#11 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  

Posted 14 August 2007 - 12:32 AM

I though updating the driver probably would not solve the problem, but it was worth a shot as it only takes a few minutes and doesn't cost anything. Before you go out and buy a new drive I would get hold of one of those CD/DVD drive cleaning kits. The problem may be nothing more than dust on the laser lens.

—George Bernard Shaw

#12 beowulf992001

beowulf992001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

I just bought a new dvd rom and when I instaled it and turned on the comp it wont evean erad the secondary disk drive, the light turns on but they do not register on the my computer, What do I do now??????

#13 BlackSpyder

BlackSpyder

Bleeping Big Rig

• BC Advisor
  • 2,456 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:05 AM

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:26 PM

Beowulf992001, Ensure that the jumper settings on the back of the drive are correct. If you are using 2 drives the one at the end of the cable is the Master, the one in the middle is the Slave. For a single drive set it to Master.

If your settings are correct then go to the manufacturers Web page and download the Latest drivers and Firmware for the DVD Drive. If you cannot find them please post the make and model of DVD Drive and we will help you in that search.

Posted Image

#14 beowulf992001

beowulf992001
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 09:57 PM

Thank you Blackspyder

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users