Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

System Restore Stopped Working And Cant Use The Net

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 PASSNBY

PASSNBY

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:55 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:23 AM

My computer at home wont connect to the internet anymore and system restore wont let me restore to an earlier date. I have checked with my ISP and the connection is fine.
It stopped logging onto the net right after I noticed system restore stopped working.
Any Ideas?

Thanks, Damian.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:55 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

Try repairing/resetting the Winsock settings. See this link for more information.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:55 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 08:03 AM

System Restore won't run if you have less than 200MB free on your hard disk(the hard disk that contains the Windows system folder,if you have more than one hard disk.It notifies you of the problem and offers to run Disk Cleanup.Though this may in fact be the reason why System Restore is not working there is in addition the chance that either another authority turned off System Restore or you yourself did so without realizing it.However nothing here would explain if this is what you are suggesting and that would be that the cause for your not being able to access the Internet is related to the difficulties you are having with System Restore.If that is what your are suggesting then there is an attempt being made of a Denial of Service attack coming from a folder related to System Restore.Your Anti-Virus should be able to detect the presence of an infected folder however due to its location it might not be able to remove it.There is a need to know more and perhaps even better information.The placement of an infected file in the System Restore folder though certainly not common place is not entirely unusual as well.

Edited by baker1, 05 August 2007 - 08:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users