Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

"message Source" In Oe Email>properties>details

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

Hi,

I've got Outlook Express 6 and occasionally I get what is obviously a spam email. When this happens, I like to add the sender's email (or domain), as well as the return-path email (or domain) to my Blocked Sender's List on my dial-up provider's Webmail Spam Filter.

So when I get one of these messages, I right-click on it and choose Properties. The Details tab, of course, gives you all that information, but sometimes I also click on Message Source at the bottom of the Details tab to see if there are any other email addresses or domains listed in there that I can block. (Actually, you can usually get all the information from the Details tab, so I really didn't mean to click the Message Source this time...)

So I'm wondering if everything I've described above is 100% safe to do on a potentially harmful email (whether it may have a virus attached or anything bad that can come with a harmful email)...?

And, specifically, can it be harmful to click the Message Source in Properties > Details on an email if there happens to be a virus or anything bad in it or attached to it? Can anything get onto your computer by doing that?

Thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 04 August 2007 - 09:17 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:21 AM

I've used this method for years to look at suspicious emails and no problem. You are safe because the email never "opens".

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

I've used this method for years to look at suspicious emails and no problem. You are safe because the email never "opens".

Excellent -- Thanks!

:thumbsup:
My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users