Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question On Files

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Helpx12345

Helpx12345

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:18 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:19 AM

My ixiotic sister deleted all the file under C:/ (Not include subdirectories) How can I recover it?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Budapest

Budapest

Bleepin' Cynic

• 23,579 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:18 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:23 AM

Have a look in the recycle bin to see if the files are still there. If they are in the recycle bin then just right click on them and select Restore.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called cynicism by those who haven't got it.

—George Bernard Shaw

#3 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:34 AM

If it isn't there then use some undelete tools to recover the files. Search on google.
You can always reinstall Windows XP.

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:18 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:37 AM

Here's the files in my C: drive so you have something to look for (this is a fresh install of XP):
autoexec.bat - 0 kB
boot.ini - 1 kB
config.sys - 0 kB
hiberfil.sys - large (only if you use Hibernation) - not needed anyway!
io.sys - 0 kB
msdos.sys - 0 kB
ndetect.com - 47 kB
ntldr - 245 kB
pagefile.sys - large (about the size of your RAM) - probably will be recreated on it's own when the system boots
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:17 AM

The situation probably isn't as bad as you may first think. All the files that are listed above are system files. As such none of them can be causually deleted - they have to be modified first to be able to delete them. Others are normally in use by XP and can't be deleted by any means while XP is up and running. Files in the root directory C:\ that can be deleted easily are most likely those that some applications create and are not critical to booting or running XP. Those applications may not run properly without them, though, and would require those apps to be re-installed.

It would help greatly to tell us what files are still actually there. To do this you will need to set Explorer to show system and hidden files:
Explorer toolbar > Tools > Folder Options... > View tab > Show hidden files and folders radio button

Uncheck Hide extensions for known file types. You will now be able to view the complete content of C:\ . Let us know every file you find there.

#6 Helpx12345

Helpx12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:40 AM

I have nothing beside these:

Documents and Settings
Downloads
Program Files
WINDOWS

Thanks alot.

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:12 PM

OK - apparently those hidden, delete-protected system files are gone ! How did your sister do this ? (a rhetorical question)

*** DO NOT TURN OFF YOUR COMPUTER *** It will not be able to restart without the following files:
boot.ini
NTDETECT.COM
ntldr

The folowing files are normally present but are usually empty. I don't believe they even need to be present.
AUTOEXEC.BAT
CONFIG.SYS
IO.SYS
MSDOS.SYS

The swap file pagefile.sys will be automatically created the next time you restart successfully.

I think a good place to start is to follow the the procedure to create an XP boot floppy or CD. I hope you have a floppy drive... :thumbsup:
Many people think that floppy drives are archaic and unneccessary. It's times like these that having one can be invaluable. Note the section named 'What if the computer doesn't have a floppy drive?'

http://tinyempire.com/notes/ntldrismissing.htm

The file boot.ini is a plain text file that tells the XP loader which disk drive and which partition on that drive to find the OS files. This file can be edited with Notepad. The author at the above web site has created a special boot.ini file that tries all the common combinations of drives+partitions. You simply have to try them all out until you find the one that works for you. Keep restarting and select the next one on the list until you find the one that works. Put that entry into a new boot.ini file that you will put in the C:\ folder.

Your final boot.ini file contents will look something like this:

default=multi(0)disk (0)partition (2) \WINDOWS EDIT THIS LINE
[operating systems]
multi(0)disk(0)partition(2)\WINDOWS="Microsoft Windows XP" /fastdetect EDIT THIS LINE

You can obtain NTDETECT.COM and ntldr from the tinyempire site. Download the ISO image by clicking on the link FIXNTLDR ISO image for Windows XP
You will need to extract ntldr and NTDETECT.COM from the ISO file. You can download and install PowerISO from here to do this.

http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/Utiliti...s/PowerISO.html

Open up the ISO file and drag-and-drop ntldr and NTDETECT.com to C:\ .

#8 Helpx12345

Helpx12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:57 PM

boot.ini is sure not there . every time I boot my computer ,It said boot.ini is missing, starting in C:/WINDOWS

my CMD also not working.

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:42 AM

Do you have the XP installation CD for your computer? If so, you can do a repair install that should fix all of these errors. Here's the instructions: http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#10 Helpx12345

Helpx12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 03:41 AM

I don't have the Window XP CD ,I even lost one of my recouvery disk.

#11 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 06:07 AM

What's the make and model of your computer? Does it have a recovery partition on the hard disk?

#12 Helpx12345

Helpx12345
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 5 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 09:21 AM

What's the make and model of your computer? Does it have a recovery partition on the hard disk?

Acer Veriton 3600G

Recovery Partition Had been deleted

#13 spike_132000

spike_132000

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:18 AM

Posted 07 August 2007 - 11:20 AM

hold on a sec... my C: folder doesn't have them files either, unless i've missed out on something. But all i've got (including hidden files and folders) are

$VAULT$.AVG - (Dir) - (Hid) - (12.8 MB / 13,426,688 bytes)
Applications - (Dir) - (398 MB / 417,460,224 bytes)
Documents and Settings - (Dir) - (3.55 GB / 3,815,511,187 bytes)
Program Files - (Dir) - (7.05 GB / 7,579,607,040 bytes)
WINDOWS - (Dir) - (3.36 GB / 3,617,781,392 bytes)
LOCAL - (File) - (NoExt) - (4.00 KB / 4096 bytes)
MINI - (File) - (NoExt) - (4.00 KB / 4096 bytes)
mtachat.txt - (File) - (4.00 KB / 4096 bytes)
SMINST - (File) - (NoExt) - (0 bytes)

??? hmmm ???

I am also using Windows XP Home SP2 Build 2600

Edited by spike_132000, 07 August 2007 - 11:22 AM.

#14 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 08 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

I'm afraid that, without recovery CD's or a recovery partition, you will not be able to repair your Acer. You'll need either a licensed copy of XP to match your Acer's Windows Certificate or a set of recovery disks from Acer. The recovery disks will probably be the cheapest and easiest way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users