Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Help! Error 162-system Options Not Set

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Dark Lord Valkrest

Dark Lord Valkrest

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:28 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:09 AM

I sure hope you guys can help me out here.
I'm working on a Compaq deskpro EN 500mhz - I think it's a PD1000 Series - My friend reset the defaults in the BIOS and after that it would not boot up or post it just popped up the red and white "Compaq screen". It would not let me enter the BIOS so I cleared CMOS using the jumper. Now it tacs off the KB of RAM gives me a "162-System Options Not Set" error. That's not the problem, I know what that error is and means and how to fix it in a general way but it will not let me in the BIOS. At the bottom, bellow the line "Compaq Deskpro EP/SB Series" it will give me second to hit the F10 key to enter setup. I hit F10 key it says "Setup" at the bottom of the screen and goes no further. The drive was formatted had it's partetion removed- I found this out after I cleared CMOS. I went online and was advised to boot to a utility disk. I downloaded the closest thing to this computer's BIOS drivers/settings: a little package called "sp8824" off the HP/Compaq site (based off a search on PD1000 series). They didn't have a utlilty anything. Also when I searched the mother board number "P2163bmdain4PR" everything the site listed was for computers with proccers well over 500mhz. I'm at a loss...do I put the drive in another computer, partetion it and install the "sp8824" package or have I been going about this all wrong? I need some serious advice. Thank you for any help you offer. Repectfuly, Dark Lord Valkrest A.K.A. DLV

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:28 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 07:00 AM

Have you flashed the BIOS? If so, this may be a corrupted flash and the fix is to replace the CMOS chip (way, way beyond my ability!).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 Dark Lord Valkrest

Dark Lord Valkrest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:15 PM

No, I can't seem to find the BIOS chip to see if it has flash memory, PLUS I have never flashed before.

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,601 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 08:44 PM

If you install the hdd in another computer be sure to make it the slave drive and observe the proper jumper setting for that application. If you install it to a motherboard as the master drive with a different chipset you could cause serious damage to the operating system.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 Dark Lord Valkrest

Dark Lord Valkrest
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:29 PM

I knew about that but thanks for the warning. I still can't find BIOS chip. Someone removed the sticker that points it out. Also I tryed the HDD thing I mention earlier...didn't work. I believe I am know stuck up S#!t Creek without a paddle and I'm sinking fast. I've never before seen a computer screen that I couldn't change. This make MS's Blue Screen of Death look friendly. Well unless anyones got any other ideas, I think I'm just gonna put a couple .45's in her and walk away clean.
Locked and Loaded, The D.L.V.

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:37 PM

Earlier Compaq Deskpros did not use an actual bios chip, the chip redirects you to the FAT12 partition and loads all the system information from that. You need to find the diagnostics disc for that EXACT machine in the SoftPaq Library to restore the actual boot(hiddenfat12) partition.

I can try to find the correct softpaq, but I need the exact model and part number, plus any revision numbers or the serial number.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#7 DonningtonSmythe

DonningtonSmythe

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:28 PM

Posted 01 September 2013 - 07:04 AM

Obviously this is a pretty old thread now but I have had a successful result today and thought I would share in case anyone is still struggling with this issue. I have a mate's HP Compaq dc5750 Small Form Factor desktop which had stopped working a couple of years ago (not certain what symptoms) and he just put it away in storage until asking me to take a look at it recently. Initially I could not even get a POST beep or graphics display so I pulled everything apart to get the hard drive out, ascertained on another computer that it was perfectly OK so I then replaced the CMOS battery, cleaned the contacts on the memory, cleaned off the old thermal paste on the CPU and replaced it with new, re-assembled and at least got POST beep and display, but with the error message stating that hardware had been changed or that the Real Time Clock needed to be replaced. The HP instruction to hold down F10 while booting and then to go into Setup did not work - it still hung on the error message. I then downloaded the HP manual for this model and realised that I had the 2 memory DIMM's in the white slots which was wrong according to the manual, (not sure if it was in those slots when I pulled it apart). Anyway, to cut a long story short, I swapped the DIMMS to the two black slots (XMM3 Channel A and XMM4 Channel B ) which apparently have to be populated first and voila, when it booted it allowed me to use F1 and save the settings. I was then able to boot into the Windows installation and everything worked perfectly. Whilst the clean and refurbish may have done some good in the way of regular maintenance, I'm thinking that it was the memory which was the main issue because as soon as I switched the DIMM's everything worked as it should.I don't know if this is the only answer but it worked for me so I'm happy - and my mate will get all his data and programmes  back intact! :-)

Edited by DonningtonSmythe, 01 September 2013 - 07:07 AM.

#8 motang

motang

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:28 AM

Posted 06 September 2013 - 01:38 PM

Obviously this is a pretty old thread now but I have had a successful result today and thought I would share in case anyone is still struggling with this issue. I have a mate's HP Compaq dc5750 Small Form Factor desktop which had stopped working a couple of years ago (not certain what symptoms) and he just put it away in storage until asking me to take a look at it recently. Initially I could not even get a POST beep or graphics display so I pulled everything apart to get the hard drive out, ascertained on another computer that it was perfectly OK so I then replaced the CMOS battery, cleaned the contacts on the memory, cleaned off the old thermal paste on the CPU and replaced it with new, re-assembled and at least got POST beep and display, but with the error message stating that hardware had been changed or that the Real Time Clock needed to be replaced. The HP instruction to hold down F10 while booting and then to go into Setup did not work - it still hung on the error message. I then downloaded the HP manual for this model and realised that I had the 2 memory DIMM's in the white slots which was wrong according to the manual, (not sure if it was in those slots when I pulled it apart). Anyway, to cut a long story short, I swapped the DIMMS to the two black slots (XMM3 Channel A and XMM4 Channel B ) which apparently have to be populated first and voila, when it booted it allowed me to use F1 and save the settings. I was then able to boot into the Windows installation and everything worked perfectly. Whilst the clean and refurbish may have done some good in the way of regular maintenance, I'm thinking that it was the memory which was the main issue because as soon as I switched the DIMM's everything worked as it should.I don't know if this is the only answer but it worked for me so I'm happy - and my mate will get all his data and programmes  back intact! :-)

How perfect, this is exactly what happened to one of the computers we got to use as thinstation. After reading your solution, I looked at the motherboard and it had the RAM sticks in the white DIMM, anda fter switching it to the black DIMM slots it worked. Thank you so much for posting the solution for such an old post!

#9 walterwhite69

walterwhite69

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:28 AM

Posted 04 November 2016 - 08:32 AM

thanks for the info, made the same mistake with the white slots. switched to the black ones and managed to get a response with the f1. then got in the bottom left the blue option to boot with f1. it did at first start to boot up windows after giving me the option to start normal or in safe mode. thinking everything was hunky dorey i opted for normal. it got as far as the welcom screen putting the symbol together, then went to a blue box asking me for a system password. 

again same storey "the friend" said there is no password.

anybody know if there is a standard system password ?

he sussed it now, cheers anyway. pulled t5he jumper off  and reset the bios. everything cush now.

Edited by walterwhite69, 04 November 2016 - 08:39 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users