Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Question About System Restore

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 CosmoQueen

CosmoQueen

• Members
  • 12 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:40 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:26 AM

My system restore folder is getting pretty huge. I know how to clear it out but what I'd like to know is if there is any way to only take out some of the files without deleting them all?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 mommabear

mommabear

• Members
  • 492 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:40 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

There are two ways to do that.

Since you want to keep some, try dialing back the amount of storage for System Restore. That will remove some of them, but not all. But I can't tell you exactly where it will cut you off. You might try dialing back to one half of what you are set on now. For example, if you are set at Max, try dialing it down to the middle...which would be half.

If you do a lot of installing, changes to your system, etc on your computer, there really isn't much reason to keep too many restore points. If you had to go back...and went back several days... you'll find that you'll end up with a bunch of renamed files and folders and probably have to reinstall some programs. Or you'll be going back so far that System Restore will tell you it couldn't restore. Two or three days worth of restore points should really be enough, and even then you'll probably face renamed files. Which is okay, but I just don't like loose ends like that on my system.

The second way is to go into the disk cleanup tools and then click the tab for additional cleanup tools. There you will find the option to erase all but your last restore point.

Whatever you decide, don't forget to set your storage size to something smaller if you want to permanently free up more disk space.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users