Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Choosable Taxes

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

Poll: Choosable Taxes (19 member(s) have cast votes)

If you could choose the specific areas where your taxes were sent on your tax form (or paycheck) would you be more willing to pay taxes?

1. Yes (9 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

2. No (10 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:49 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:02 AM

If you could choose the specific areas where your taxes were sent on your tax form (or paycheck) would you be more willing to pay taxes?

I know this may seem like a far stretch, but for anyone anywhere in the world. Would you be more willing to pay *income tax* if you could choose which department of the government got the money?

Edited by yano, 04 August 2007 - 04:02 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 HitSquad

HitSquad

You're Bleepin' or you're Weepin'

• Members
  • 1,573 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

Hi Yano.
I have nothing against paying taxes but would not trust that the money, given a choice, would end up were I wanted it.
Therefore, I voted no in your pole.
I'm a strong supporter of the Fair Tax, which is gaining huge momentum. It's a national consumption tax (not a flat tax) that would eliminate income taxes, capatable gain taxes, etc, as well as the need for the IRS. It would also eliminate all exploited tax loopholes.

#3 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:49 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:16 AM

I pay my taxes because I have to. Even if the taxes do not go where they should and get wasted we live in a good country and i'd rather pay taxes than not and our country look like africe....

#4 boopme

boopme

To Insanity and Beyond

• Global Moderator
  • 72,239 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:23 AM

Voted No. Chosing where doesn't do much in my book,I'd prefer to see accountability.
How do I get help? Who is helping me?For the time will come when men will not put up with sound doctrine. Instead, to suit their own desires, they will gather around them a great number of teachers to say what their itching ears want to hear....Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#5 ddeerrff

ddeerrff

Retired

• Malware Response Team
  • 2,717 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:49 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:37 AM

The idea doesn't work. Just like trying to do that with the big charity organization, it just means that someone elses $ goes to replace the one I channeled elsewhere.

I agree with HitSquad on the 'Fair Tax'.
Derfram
~~~~~~

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,031 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:49 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:03 PM

I voted no, I am a proponent of the fair tax initiative.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:44 PM

I thought it was an idea. I was about to fall asleep and had the idea.

Anyways I like this Fair Tax. Never heard of it before, but seems like it would work. Just watched the movie.

#8 JohnWho

JohnWho

Who was running the store?

• Members
  • 2,611 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:03 PM

The problem with the Fair Tax concept is that it does nothing to line the pockets of career politicians, nor does it allow for the level of corruption regarding tax evasion that we have now.

Otherwise, it's a good idea.

I know you think you understand what you thought I said,
but I'm not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant!

#9 cowsgonemadd3

cowsgonemadd3

Feed me some spyware!

• Banned
  • 4,557 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 04:47 PM

I read somewhere the 120k the um...is it the representatives get? wasnt enough and since they have not gotten a raise in so many years they raised the 120k up like 40-60% or something? Pushing papers and sitting in meetings is so worth more than 120k isnt it?

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:49 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:12 PM

Democrats -- tax and spend.
Republicans -- tax less, still spend.

fair tax would get the politicians out of our wallets

The problem with the Fair Tax concept is that it does nothing to line the pockets of career politicians

That is a plus

Edited by oldf@rt, 04 August 2007 - 05:13 PM.

The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#11 yano

yano

I can see what you post!

• Topic Starter

• Members
  • 6,469 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 07:51 AM

I have noticed though that the FairTax is supported by a lot of Republicans.

[quote name='http://www.stumbleupon.com/url/www.fairtax.org/site/PageServer']Simply naming a tax a "Fair Tax" does not make it so. Looking through the people in Congress supporting this, the vast majority have an R after their names. I'd hardly call that a bipartisan effort. Wonder why the GOPs support it so much? It means big tax savings for the rich. If the tax is designed revenue-neutral (and that may be a big if), who pays more and who pays less? Assuming the so-called "progressive" prebate feature of the tax is implemented, according to reports by the Treasury Department, those earning $15,000 to $200,000 will see their tax burden increase--something that even Americans for Fair Taxation's David Burton admits. The average working-class and middle-class taxpayer won't come out better with this plan. What makes this plan "fair"? That's something that's not exactly clear to me.[/quote]
Quote by a member on SU.

#12 Ryan 3000

Ryan 3000

• Members
  • 834 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:40 AM

I voted yes, but then realized that I hadn't actually read your opinions and now I think no because then some long-forgotten government program would never get funded and the highways would be paved with diamonds while people in Africa still starved.
No pessimist ever discovered the secrets of the stars, or sailed to an uncharted land.

#13 jwinathome

jwinathome

• Members
  • 1,360 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 10:50 AM

I know WAY better than the government, what to do with the money that I worked to earn. As simple as that. :thumbsup:

#14 rms4evr

rms4evr

• Members
  • 812 posts
  •  

Posted 16 August 2007 - 05:59 PM

I voted yes. I don't like politicians (Democrats or the GOP) sending my tax dollars to some unnecessary and ineffective social program, while cutting funding to others that are needed desperately, especially for fighting the terrorists.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users