Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Operating Systems, Unix,lynux Xp?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 monkpart9

monkpart9

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:37 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:18 PM

I was wondering, If i wanted to go about trying out a different operating system if I would be able to do so. See Curently I have installed on my computer windows xp service pack 2 (ive used windows my whole life) and I heard somewhere that if I wanted to I could have Lynux and windows installed on my machine and use iether whenever I wanted. I was wondering if it would be possible to try Lynux without deleting my current operating system or if I could How would I go about trying out Lynux otherwise?
If you do things right, then people won't know if you've done anything at all.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:37 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

Try Googling it, you'll get several results on the first page.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

#3 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:41 PM

Ubuntu has a great live cd, boots the machine into linux without using the hard drive, check out this forum, the guys who frequent it probably know a lot more, and of course have their personal opinion of which distro is best, personally I use red hat 7.2 and fedora core 6, but none of my machines multi boot.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:30 AM

You can dual boot into another OS if you have the disk space.
You can use a "Live" distribution of Linux and some other OS's to see how they work
Or, you can use a Virtual Machine to run the other OS's within your current OS. VMWare makes the most popular one these days (the Microsoft one is limited as to which OS's you can use it with).
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 baker1

baker1

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:44 AM

I would want with this post simply to suggest that any thinking as to a push button idea is far from the truth and even further what your inquiring about though not out of hand is most certainly a very demanding task.The concern of where to start is coupled with Why would such as your question implies be necessary?It is important that there be a real reason so that what is required be more real as very legitmate demands covering thorough computer know how awaits you."Tips from the Windows Pros:Living with More Than One OS-The Windows XP Multiboot loader is capable of supporting a large number of multiboot situations still,editing the BOOT.INI file is an intimidating process,and you must remember quirky rules about the order of operating system installation.If you're interested in loading up a killer system we recommend using a program designed specifically for the job."There are two recommendations to take a good look at prior to any attempt to set up a multi-boot or dual boot system.One is called Boot Magic and is coupled with Partition Magic now owned by Symantec,and another similar program is System Commander from V Communications. www.v-com.com. Chapter 31-Multibooting Windows XP with other Operating Systems,Pages 1243-1244-Que Publishing-Windows XP-Professional(third edition) by Robert Cowart & Brian Knittel

#6 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:43 AM

Baker1: Huh... ? Wha... ?

Yes, dual-booting is the way to go - but only after experimenting and settling on one of many, many versions of Linux that are available. The "live" CDs provide a great means to play around with a number of Linux flavors without having to mess around with dual-booting.

Monkpart9: A suggestion for you to try out - PCLinuxOS. It has a very Windows-like look-and-feel and comes with many freeware applications. It appears to have a very good device detection ability and is able to self-configure my network adapter, video card and USB controllers.

Once you get over the disappointment of not having your disk drive partitions showing up as C:, D:, E:, etc., it's pretty easy to get familiarized to how the file system is organized. Another hurdle is discovering what are the names of all the applications that are supplied (free of charge !!). I had to Google just to find out the name of the CD/DVD burning program, K3B. K3B ?! Who named that one ? It appears to be a very capable utility, though. The amazing aspect of it is that it's free, as with all the other 3rd-party applications. Nero costs how much ?

As much as I love and use XP I see that Windows OS's days are numbered. Microsoft is sabotaging it's own efforts in creating new OSs. Vista is a huge, lumbering, and resource-hogging disaster that is being pushed into the market by the sheer momentum of Microsoft. Linux, on the other hand, is efficient and will run on most PCs, though experienced tweaking is often necessary in most versions to getting it to work properly. Novices like me and Monkpart9 don't know (yet) how to reconfigure an installation to get it to work right.

PCLinuxOS
http://www.pclinuxos.com/

Check out the newsletter. It's very well-written and useful to newbies like me.

#7 monkpart9

monkpart9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:04 PM

Ahh pascor the information you've provided me with has actually given me more confidence in my search for new operating system knowledge.

This "pslinuxoc" actually sounds very interesting and I will be sure to check it out/read up on it, so thank you for you contribution and helping me out : )

#8 rweil

rweil

• Members
  • 16 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:37 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 03:26 PM

Do try Knoppix. It requires no installation and leaves no residue. Just stick the disk in your drive and it boots. Google Knoppix, and you'll find ISOs to download if you can burn a CD or DVD, or you can buy a CD or DVD for under ten dollars. You can be experiencing Linux in five minutes. It comes with Firefox, a MS Office-like suite, some games, and much, much more.
-Robert

#9 monkpart9

monkpart9
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 256 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 04:55 PM

Hmm, I may actually give that a try rwiel, thank you : )

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users