Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Gaming Lag

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Trainwrek

Trainwrek

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:32 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:59 PM

I started playing online games a while ago, I've played a range of games from fps to rts games. Recently I booted the CD to my game "Starcraft" an rts from the late 90's. I noticed that when I joined a game the lag was so bad it was nearly unplayable. I thought it was just the server so I joined another, this one was just as bad. I also got the game Age of Empires II from a friend and the same was happening with that, it wasn't AS bad but it's hard to play and not worth playing. Now the lag is so bad that I can't get the full experience of the games I've bought (and borrowed) and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions. I thought it might be my Virtual Memory (I got a balloon coming up saying it's low) so I adjusted it and set it much higher but it didn't do the trick. Why was I once able to play games such as Half Life 2 and now my computer lags with games like Starcraft? I run Comcast Cable Internet and it's pretty fast, I don't notice any change in internet speed, just lag on my games. Is it a virus? Is it my video settings?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 idk

idk

• Members
  • 302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:10 AM

Go to a server which is near to you.

#3 Trainwrek

Trainwrek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:11 AM

Yeah I always do, it's not that I think it's something with my video settings.

#4 Dark Lord Valkrest

Dark Lord Valkrest

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 03:21 PM

I have had similar problems in the past. Somtimes the server has to many people connected to it, try connecting to a server with very few players. Also, you might try to add something like "RAMBOOSTER" to your system, it helps sometimes. You may also try adjusting tranfser rate restrictions.

#5 Trainwrek

Trainwrek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:52 PM

Hm, RAMBOOSTER didn't help bu thanks anyway.

#6 Dark Lord Valkrest

Dark Lord Valkrest

• Members
  • 14 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:32 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:53 PM

What about the rate transfer restrictions? I'm not exactly sure how YOU would change them because my mother makes her own programs to overwrite windows. I use one of her programs.
P.S. please don't request one the programs -- no copy rite so... I can't give it to you, my mother would kill me.
Oh I almost forgot sometimes 3d graphics accelerated cards have memory or a small processing unit. Adjusting that some how (if you have one) my make a difference, but don't hold me to it.

Edited by Dark Lord Valkrest, 05 August 2007 - 05:59 PM.

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 06:07 PM

You may want to take one or two simple steps that might help.
1. Turn off any unneeded applications running. (Check Task Manager)
2. Defrag your hard drive.
3. Use one of the many on-line tests to check your internet speed. I believe DSL Reports has one. If you can play these games solo without problems, your connexion may be the problem.
Regards,
John

Edited by jgweed, 05 August 2007 - 06:09 PM.

Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#8 Trainwrek

Trainwrek
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 04:34 PM

Also I should add that my Mcafee subscription ended so the Mcafee Firewall or whatever is no more.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users