Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Microsoft Fax Console Problem

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 KKRoadie

KKRoadie

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:21 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:53 PM

My fax console (Microsoft Fax Console 5.1) stopped working. It just stopped receiving faxes some time back. When I try to open the console it times out while trying to populate the existing faxes (no error message, it just says "refreshing" at the bottom). I have tried deleting and reinstalling the fax from the printer console, no change.

I have a Dell XPS Gen 4, Windows XP 5.1 Build 2600.xpsp_sp2_gdr.070227-2254 : Service Pack 2

Although not an IT person I am pretty good at computers and this one has me stumped.

I have Trend Micro Antivirus, Webroot Spysweeper, AntiVir Personal Edition and Spybot Search and destroy all installed and active on the unit. I sweep the PC daily for malware, viruses etc.

Any suggestions?

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

Hi KKRoadie,

Check your settings to the ones in How to Receive a Fax in Windows XP.

For additional information about using the Fax Console have a look at How to Enable and Configure the Fax Service in Windows XP.

I have Trend Micro Antivirus, Webroot Spysweeper, AntiVir Personal Edition and Spybot Search and destroy all installed and active on the unit.

Running two Anti Virus programs at once is not a good idea.
In order for an AV program to run efficiently, I would suggest to remove either Trend Micro Antivirus or AntiVir.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

#3 KKRoadie

KKRoadie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

I've tried all the normal stuff on setting up and configuring the fax. It was working fine for several years but it just stopped a few months ago.

I wonder if the fax program itself isn't corrupt and needs to be reinstalled???

I tried uninstalling and then reinstalling the fax console from the printer section but it still doesn't work.

When I open the fax console it just goes to the dreaded hour glass and eventually times out.

Is the original fax program on the Windows XP disc?

Yeah I know I shouldn't have two AV programs but neither one catches all the bugs. I guess I'll uninstall the antivir program since that was free and I paid for the trend copy.

KK

#4 KKRoadie

KKRoadie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 58 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:52 PM

NEVER MIND

I got it.

When I went into Windows components setup and deleted the fax rebooted and then reinstalled it everything works again. It even found all my old faxes.

Not sure what went wrong but it's all good now.

KK

#5 TMacK

TMacK

• Members
  • 4,672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:21 PM

Posted 06 August 2007 - 12:22 AM

Glad you were able to get the Fax console up and running again KKRoadie. :thumbsup:
And Thanx for reporting back with your fix.
Chaos reigns within.
Reflect, repent, and reboot.
Order shall return.

aaaaaaaa a~Suzie Wagner

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users