Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Missing Operating System Error

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 TLONG

TLONG

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:46 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:21 PM

Ok its a bit of a long story, but Id really like some help!

I currently upgraded from Windows XP to Windows Vista Home Premium edition via their website. I downloaded the new operating system with the upgrade. I do NOT have it on disk. After about 2 days of running it, I turned my computer on first thing in the morning, and the error message came up saying "Missing Operating System". I have tried everything! I went and checked the BIOS settings and everything seemed normal. I have no idea what happened! I can't make any boot floppy's b/c my new Compaq doesn't come with a floppy. It won't let me go into the recovery console (F10) but it will let me go into Setup (F1). F5 and F8 options are not available as options either. If anyone knows what I can try to do, please let me know! Thank you!!!!!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:48 PM

Try the Microsoft support page here.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 TLONG

TLONG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:00 PM

I already was there and they said I need to get a backup/recovery disk. I ordered one but it won't be here until Aug 13th. Is there anything else I can do just to get a windows program up on my computer?

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:06 PM

I dont know anything else. I will send a message to one of the other Advisors.
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:46 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 05:48 AM

What error message do you get when you try and go into the Recovery partition? Depending on how you did the upgrade to Vista, the Recovery partition may have been deleted. Or, it could be an issue with your hard drive. Try downloading a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) and booting from the CD/DVD drive to run it (In order to access the boot menu, press Esc as the PC first starts to boot)
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 TLONG

TLONG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 02:22 PM

What error message do you get when you try and go into the Recovery partition? Depending on how you did the upgrade to Vista, the Recovery partition may have been deleted. Or, it could be an issue with your hard drive. Try downloading a bootable diagnostic utility from the manufacturer of your hard drive (usually free) and booting from the CD/DVD drive to run it (In order to access the boot menu, press Esc as the PC first starts to boot)

I don't get an error message. It just doesn't let me hit F10 for some reason. I keep trying and it won't let me. How can I find the manufacturer of my hard drive? I have a Compaq Presario SR1911X.

#7 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:51 AM

To find the manufacturer of your hard drive, use this free tool to see: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

Or, you could just open the case and look at the hard drive to tell.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#8 TLONG

TLONG
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 13 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:58 AM

To find the manufacturer of your hard drive, use this free tool to see: http://www.gtopala.com/index.html

Or, you could just open the case and look at the hard drive to tell.

I really won't be able to use this considering I can not access my Windows OS at all

#9 usasma

usasma

• 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 05:52 AM

Then the 2nd option is for you - open the case and look at it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users