Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Can't Boot Normally

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 MadDawg

MadDawg

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:33 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:45 PM

Alright, when I start up my computer normally, it hangs at the Welcome screen and will not go any farther (sometimes it goes to the desktop, but there are no icons). Can someone help? Also, the only way I can shut down is if I hold down the power button, which may have caused more damage.

I've tried:

Booting Normally (about 8+ times)
System Restore
Last Known good config (4 times, worked once)
repairing the registry with Uniblue Registry Booster
repairing the registry with RegistryFix
CHKDSK /R (Recovery Console)
Disk Defragmenter

I can boot into safe mode.

I NEED to fix my laptop, otherwise, I will go crazy :thumbsup: . Is this possible without reformatting? Because I only have one HDD with data I can't afford to lose.

Thanks in advance.
A penguin broke my windows with a half-eaten apple!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:33 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:11 PM

Can you start this laptop in safe mode with networking?

If you can:
  • Please download the Avast Free virus & worm removal tool. and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the file you just downloaded to run the program
  • When the program starts click the {Start Scanning} button.
  • It will clean everything that it finds.
  • Restart the machine.
Please post your results here
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Master5270

Master5270

• Members
  • 131 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:21 PM

If the Instructions from Oldf@rt do not work, than i suggest that if you can get to the desktop with no icons sometimes, access the task manager and go to File -> New Task ->and type in explorer.exe

#4 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:38 PM

Can you start this laptop in safe mode with networking?

If you can:

• Please download the Avast Free virus & worm removal tool. and save it to your desktop.
  • Double click on the file you just downloaded to run the program
  • When the program starts click the {Start Scanning} button.
  • It will clean everything that it finds.
  • Restart the machine.
Please post your results here

Alright, the scan did not find any viruses, and I didn't bother rebooting. (btw, I couldn't access the internet in safe mode, but my very handy PSP saved the day) However, I did get a message about a corrupt file (I doubt it was a system file, because it was something I downloaded) and it prompted me to run chkdsk. I'll do the "Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors" option overnight.

This is just a hunch, but do you think my problem has something to do with Winlogon.exe?

If the Instructions from Oldf@rt do not work, than i suggest that if you can get to the desktop with no icons sometimes, access the task manager and go to File -> New Task ->and type in explorer.exe

Tried, failed. I tried using "Ctrl+Shift+Esc" and the standard "Ctrl+Alt+Delete" but the task manager didn't appear. There was also little HDD function, which permitted me to force a shutdown with little damage. Thanks anyway.

I took my laptop to get it fixed, but the guy said I needed to reformat. (I stopped him just as he was about to do it...that was close!!!)

#5 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,074 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:08 AM

Presuming that you're free of viruses and malware, then a repair of the OS is called for. In order to do this, you'll have to have a copy of the XP disk that came with the system (not all come with them). Some systems allow you to make "recovery" disks, and a few of those recovery disks will allow you to repair the system (rather than just reformatting and reinstalling).

First try running SFC.EXE /SCANNOW from the Run dialog (more info here: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/43051/how-to-use-sfcexe-to-repair-system-files/ )

If that doesn't fix it, then try a repair install of XP (this will leave your data and programs intact): http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

If that doesn't work, then you're looking a format and reinstall.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#6 MadDawg

MadDawg
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 453 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 02:33 AM

*sigh* Nothing worked. I now have a half-dead laptop. I'll have to reformat. I'll just invest in a usb case for my PS3 HDD (which I don't have yet), so I can back up my files. Thanks anyway guys.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users