Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Old PATA + New SATA Drive

• Please log in to reply
1 reply to this topic

#1 SillyPoint

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • Local time:11:54 PM

Posted 30 January 2005 - 12:39 PM

I've just updated an old PC, adding a new MB (MSI KT6V) and a new SATA hard drive. I've kept the old IDE/PATA drive as well. My aim is to do a complete reload of WinME and applications, but there's a lot of useful stuff on the old drive so I want to keep that in place as well.

The problem I'm seeing is that the old drive comes up as drive 1 (of 2), and contains the C: primary partition. I've partitioned the new disk, but fdisk won't let me make it the active partition. It comes up as D:. I fear that if I install Windows there I won't able to boot it.

The system is still happy to boot from the old drive (although WinME went a bit crazy when it encountered the new MB!). I'm willing to reformat the C: drive at some point (the useful stuff is on what used to be D: and E:). But I don't expect that'll help.

The boot sequence seems very strongly oriented to the IDE side of the house. It finds the HD and CD IDE drives right off, then goes on to issue some nonstandard-looking messages leeding to the discovery of the SATA drive.

Nothing in the BIOS setup seems to offer any help sorting this out. The MB manual, ditto.

I assume that if I remove the old drive, I'll be OK -- but I'd like to have the extra space.

Simply put: How do I make the SATA drive come up as Drive 1 / C:?

I can take the usual approach of randomly tinkering with settings, hoping for the best. But if anyone here knows a quick answer, it'll be very welcome.

-- SillyPoint

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 Grinler

Lawrence Abrams

• Admin
  • 43,431 posts
  • Local time:12:54 AM

Posted 31 January 2005 - 10:17 AM

Remove the old drive during the install, start the xp install by booting off the XP cd and install it into the sata drive as c:

Then install the old drive and reboot and you should be ok

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users