Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Low Virtual Memory Warning-windows Xp

• Please log in to reply
39 replies to this topic

#1 honu1

honu1

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:56 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:51 PM

I originally posted this topic in the general Windows XP section. The last reply given me suggested I repost my problem here.
I am running Windows XP-SP2
My system has been running slow+freezing up for the last few days. If I knew how to get all the information over to here that I already posted I would.

I ran the following scans this past Sunday:
Spyware Guard
Ad-Aware SE Personal
Spybot-Search+Destroy
Spyware Blaster
Super Antispyware Free
cwshredder.exe

AVG Free is updated daily.

Unfortunately, I did not run any of these scans in "safe mode". I still am uncertain as to the benefit of running in safe mode.
My system is left running 24/7 with the monitor off when I'm at work.

When I do turn the monitor on in the evening my system seems to perform okay until I let it sit idle for a while with the screen saver on. When I go back to use my computer, I have a very hard time to get it out of screen saver mode.

I have to reboot it to make it work again. I have not recccieved the icon + message about low virtual memory since following the instructions from my original postings. But.....my system is still freezing. Did I do something wrong in running all those scans in normal mode vs. safe mode?

Do I need to perform all my scans in safe mode, or just certain ones?

Thank you
honu1
Life isn't about how to survive the storm, but how to dance in the rain.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:34 PM

Running your scans in safe mode reduces the hiding places for malware. I think your problem is elsewhere though.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/126459-1/article.html

The Hassle: My PC freezes periodically. How do I unfreeze it without losing my work or having to reboot?

The Fix: In Task Manager, select the Processes tab, choose Explorer.exe, and click End Process. (Just ignore the scary message.) Select File, New Task (Run...), type explorer, and click OK.

The Hassle: Your advice helped me unfreeze my system--but it keeps happening, and I can't go on like this. What now?

The Fixes: Start with the usual suspects: Scrub your Temp and Internet cache folders. First, use Ccleaner.

Remove temporary files, logs, cookies, etc. by using Ccleaner. Do not use "Advanced Settings" or the "Issues" button. Use only the default settings. http://www.ccleaner.com/
Then run Windows' Check Disk utility with Automatically fix file system errors and Scan for and attempt recovery of bad sectors checked. (Open My Computer, right-click the drive, select Properties, choose the Tools tab, and click the Check Now button under 'Error-checking'.) Also, send your antispyware and antivirus tools into action.

No luck? Try getting rid of damaged ActiveX programs. From Control Panel, choose Internet Options, the General tab, Settings, and View Objects. Right-click to delete any items marked 'Damaged' in the Status column. You might have a corrupted file, so run System File Checker to verify (and, if necessary, reinstall) those files on your system: Click Start, Run, and then type CMD. In the command window, type sfc /scannow and wait awhile; the scan seems to take forever to complete.

What email program do you use?

Here is some more info on your problem.
http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000690.htm

Let Secunia scan your computer.
http://secunia.com/software_inspector/
How Does it Work:
The Secunia Software Inspector relies on carefully crafted "Secunia File Signatures" to recognise applications on your system. The detected applications are then matched against our "Secunia Advisory Intelligence" to determine whether an application is up-to-date or not. The results are then used to advise you on how to update to more secure releases of the insecure applications.

Edited by buddy215, 03 August 2007 - 08:46 PM.

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:33 PM

Thanks for the reply,buddy215.
I won't get a chance to look into any of the helpful links until tomorrow. Had to work today.
In answer to your question re: my email program tho it's the latest version of Firefox.

Looks as tho I have quite a bit of work cut out for me. I'm a beginner user + really don't understand most of the techy stuff.
I will certainly ask questions about things I don't understand. I hope you can be patient with me.

Thank you for taking the time to try to help me.

honu1

#4 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Firefox is a browser, not an email program. Could it be Outlook Express , Thunderbird, yahoo, or??

“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss

A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#5 tg1911

tg1911

Lord Spam Magnet

• Members
  • 19,274 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 06:58 PM

Firefox is a internet browser, honu1, not an E-mail program.
Did you mean Thunderbird, which is put out by the same people (Mozilla) who make Firefox.
MOBO: GIGABYTE GA-MA790X-UD4P, CPU: Phenom II X4 955 Deneb BE, HS/F: CoolerMaster V8, RAM: 2 x 1G Kingston HyperX DDR2 800, VGA: ECS GeForce Black GTX 560, PSU: Antec TruePower Modular 750W, Soundcard: Asus Xonar D1, Case: CoolerMaster COSMOS 1000, Storage: Internal - 2 x Seagate 250GB SATA, 2 x WD 1TB SATA; External - Seagate 500GB USB, WD 640GB eSATA, 3 x WD 1TB eSATA

Become a BleepingComputer fan: Facebook

#6 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:38 AM

Oh good grief!!!!! I thought about this well after I made the post last night. Yes, you're right, my email program is Thunderbird.
I am just sooooo concerned with trying to execute all this diagnostic stuff that my mind is racing all over the place,sorry.

Is there any significance about my email program to the problems I'm having?

Thanks
honu1

#7 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:09 AM

Pardon my ignorance, but how do I get to task manager? Do I need to close all other open programs first?

I'm not at all sure as to how to operated that Ccleaner. I will read more about it, but I think I'm going to need step by step instructions,please?

Please forgive this novice :thumbsup:

#8 Glam

Glam

• Members
  • 24 posts
  •  
  • Local time:06:56 PM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 10:41 AM

To get the task manager just press [at the same time] Ctrl + Alt + Delete

#9 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

To install Ccleaner download and follow the prompts. At some point towards the end of the installation you will see the Yahoo toolbar being offered. UNCHECK the box next to it unless you want it.
You will be offered SHORTCUTS to install. Just choose the desktop one. No need for the others or for Ccleaner to run at startup. Uncheck all but the desktop one.
Once downloaded and installed, double click on the desktop icon and it will open. At the bottom of the page you will see two buttons. One says "analyze" the other says "run cleaner". Click on the "run cleaner" and Ccleaner will do its job.
A reminder not to use the "issues" tool or the "advanced settings".
There are other tools/functions you can do with Ccleaner but the main goal here is to use its cleaning function.

Another way to open the task manager is to right click on the clock and choose "task manager" from the list.

The reason I asked what email you were using is because you wanted info on how to move the stored emails you have in your email folders. Maybe someone who uses Thunderbird will reply as to the easiest way to do this.

Edited by buddy215, 05 August 2007 - 11:33 AM.

#10 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:28 PM

Thanks buddy215,
Before I download Ccleaner I wanted to give you a bit more info. I looked into my task manager + see I have 40 processes running. Seems like quite a bit! Anyway, there are 5 processes that are using a lot of virtual memory.

Firefox=53,084K
SuperAntispyware=35,604K
THUNDE~1.EXE=31,604K
avgemc.exe=31,224K
MailWasher.exe=23,736K

These are the 5 largest VM users. It looks as tho the Superantispyware program must be running all the time? As it's a security program, should I leave it on 24/7(as it appears to be now), or only weekly when I run my scans? I didn't realize it used so much space.

I will now download+install the Ccleaner. Is this something that will run constantly, or only when I prompt it to? Can it be added to scheduled tasks?

Thanks for your detailed instructions. It really helps me to feel more confident in using my system.

honu1

#11 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:48 PM

I don't know if you paid for Super Antispyware or not. If you didn't, some of its functions will stop after the trial period. You can stop Super Antispyware from loading at startup and therefore running in the background. Look for the settings on the main page of SAS. If you didn't pay for it, you will need to check updates manually at least once a week so it will be available when needed.

Quote: "You will be offered SHORTCUTS to install. Just choose the desktop one. No need for the others or for Ccleaner to run at startup. Uncheck all but the desktop one."

#12 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 12:58 PM

Hi buddy215,
Just ran Ccleaner. Now what am I supposed to do with all the info after the scan? Do it erase itself with each new scan?
I accidentally had the file placed on my desktop instead of burried away on my C Drive where all other programs go. I am so not a geek, but I'm trying!

I now have the folder, plus the shortcut logo on my desktop. How do I move the file where it really belongs?
I'm looking very ashamed....sigh. :thumbsup:

honu1

#13 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:12 PM

Ccleaner does not make backups for the cleaning function. Just close the program. When you open it again, you will have a clean slate. just curious, how many MB's did it remove, if you noticed?

#14 honu1

honu1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 477 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:23 PM

Hi buddy215
The number was really low. About 25 MB's I believe. I just went back to look + sure enough, the slate is wiped clean!
Thank you for this useful tool.

I was just going to run that final link you gave me in your first post, Secunia.
Any ideas as to how I can get that Ccleaner file in the correct drive? C/drive(?)

Thanks
honu1

#15 buddy215

buddy215

• BC Advisor
  • 12,596 posts
  •  

Posted 05 August 2007 - 01:41 PM

Right click on the folder and choose move to "my documents. once there you can drag into the program files if you want to.

You must regularly clean your temporary files. I was expecting a lot more than 25mb. Did you close IE and Firefox before cleaning? Ccleaner may have even shown a popup if you didn't.

Edited by buddy215, 05 August 2007 - 01:47 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users