Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Computer Won't Post When Rebooted

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 El_Kabong

El_Kabong

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:59 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:44 PM

I have no idea what is wrong w/ my computer....first it started by freezing up every now and then...then it went to pretty much the first few times i started it and opened internet explorer it would freeze, i would have to reboot a few times before i could actually browse. now it freezes and when i reboot or do a cold boot when it starts back up it doesn't post at all! the inactive light goes on the monitor, i can hear the fan running inside and i opened the case and i can see the lights on the video card and network card but it just won't post. the only way i can get it to post is by turning off the surge protector then back on again (only to have it freeze when i am in the middle of something)

what could it be?

i tried using via hardware monitor but it locked up as soon as it opens. it did give abalarn about the system and cpu hysteresis were lower than the current temps, what does that mean??

thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:59 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:20 PM

I would first run a memory test, to rule out a bad RAM module.

Either Windows Memory Diagnostic or Memtest86 3.3
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:17 PM

it won't let me download them, when i try it says ie was unable to open the site

#4 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:35 PM

Also look for bad caps on the motherboard, and there is the outside chance that you have a failing PSU.

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#5 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 10:38 PM

Also look for bad caps on the motherboard, and there is the outside chance that you have a failing PSU.

what would a bad cap look like?

it's wierd, i try to open a page and as soon as it starts to load it will freeze...then i have to turn off and on until it posts and then i can get to a page but as soon as i click on a link it will freeze all over again!

#6 dc3

dc3

Bleeping Treehugger

• Members
  • 30,714 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:59 PM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:55 PM

what would a bad cap look like?

it's wierd, i try to open a page and as soon as it starts to load it will freeze...then i have to turn off and on until it posts and then i can get to a page but as soon as i click on a link it will freeze all over again!

http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5

Family and loved ones will always be a priority in my daily life.  You never know when one will leave you.

#7 El_Kabong

El_Kabong
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 34 posts
  •  

Posted 09 August 2007 - 12:16 PM

Thanks a lot! I'll have to check later, but the description certainly sounds like my problems. I hope this is what it is so I can fix it quickly

Edited by El_Kabong, 09 August 2007 - 12:16 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users