Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Userinit.exe

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 Kevin1

Kevin1

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:38 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:51 AM

i think i am missing the userinit.exe from what i have been reading...i thought it was spy ware so i chose an option to not let it run...now when i put my password in and try to log in it immediately logs right back out...any solution to this? i cant do anything on the comp at all...and don't have the re boot cd that i have seen people talking about associated with this problem...is there any way to fix this?? i cant do a system restore either as it says im missing some hal.dll file...im not sure if there both from the same problem or not but if anyone could help thanks

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  
  • Local time:11:38 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:21 PM

Can you give us a little more information, such as what version of windows do you have, and the make and model of the machine?

Thanks, OF
The name says it all -- 59 and holding permanently

**WARNING** Links I provide might cause brain damage

#3 Kevin1

Kevin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:34 PM

its windows xp home edition and its a hp pavilion a000

#4 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:48 PM

Most hp computers have a recovery partition and don't ship with any recovery discs. is there a way for you to borrow a XP home cd so that you can start the recovery console and run the system file checker utility?

The next option would be to do a repair install, again you would need the cd.

The final option would be to run the built in recovery program.

If you get the machine running here is the recovery disc info.

#5 Kevin1

Kevin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:02 PM

alright thanks, im on a newer comp that we own just got it a few months ago and never got a hp cd..ill try and get my hands on one...but i take it this is the only way to fix it with a cd?

#6 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:36 PM

Check the other links that I gave you. your other option is to run system restore using the F10 key, and then to make your restore discs.

If you do this, do not use the advanced option

running the standard system restore can make it difficult to get to your files if you have any that you don't wish to lose.

FWIW, hp and compaq along with most computer manufacturers don't include recovery discs or the WinXP disk or Windows Vista disc. you must make your own set of restore discs.

#7 Kevin1

Kevin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:51 PM

it wont let me run the system restore with the f10 or i woulda along time ago lol...at this point i dont care to save anything on the comp i just want it working again

#8 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:10 AM

Lets try this with the computer powered off, unplug. push and hold the power on switch for 30 seconds, and release. plug the computer back in, and start tapping the F10 key as soon as you see the HP logo on screen, as the machine starts, you should see the progress bar go from left to right, and come up to the first screen of system restore.

also, I know that this may sound stupid, Please make sure the keyboard and mouse are plugged in correctly, and that all pins are still in the connectors.

Let us know if this works.

Edited by oldf@rt, 04 August 2007 - 12:12 AM.

#9 Kevin1

Kevin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:38 AM

ok, ive done that, this is what i get when f10 tryed to start

windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: windows root /system32/ hall.dll please re install a copy of the above file

#10 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 01:21 AM

it looks like you need the windows cd or the recovery discs from hp. any windows xp home disc should work to start the recovery console.

#11 Kevin1

Kevin1
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 10 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:21 AM

ok thanks, i had actually found 7 recovery disks from this comp im on now the newer one...but when i tryed to put them in the other comp it said something to the fact of wrong version or something?

#12 oldf@rt

oldf@rt

• Members
  • 2,609 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 11:59 AM

The recovery discs must be for the exact computer model. An example: Model A610n discs will not work with an A610fr computer. You should order a set of the discs from HP.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users