Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Netstat

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jameson666

Jameson666

• Members
  • 8 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:20 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:38 AM

Hello-
Are their ways for an Admin or a Virus to disable the Netstat command prompt from running correctly? I've noticed on my home machine, that is in the process of being cleaned up, will run any variation of netstat, but close before I can read anything on the screen. Would this be due to the virus? And also I've noticed on my work's laptop I'm on right now, and my computer at the office, it does the same thing (closes immediatley after running). My guess is that it can be disabled and that is what the virus is doing to my computer.

Just curious...Thanks in advance!

-Jameson

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

If you start Netstat using "Start, Run..., netstat", the window will close immediately after running Netstat.

If you start it using "Start, All Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt" and then type "netstat" in the command prompt window, the command prompt window should stay open until you close it.

#3 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:50 PM

I am experiencing the same problem however when if I go the route you suggested in Windows XP home there is no Command Prompt listing under accessories. Any suggestions?
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

#4 M...

M...

• Members
  • 386 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:20 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:59 PM

"Start, Run..., cmd" should also open a command prompt window. I think it should work, but I'm running XP Pro, so I can't say for sure.

#5 thewall

thewall

• Malware Response Team
  • 6,425 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:47 PM

OK, thanks

By going the cmd route I was then able to type in netstat -a and get it to come up and stay.

Appreciate the help!

thewall
If I have helped you then please consider donating so I can continue the fight against malware Posted Image
All donations go directly to the helper

Posted Image

Due to the large amount of backlogs we have I cannot respond to PMs for help unless I am already working with you

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users