Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Downloaded An Application...

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 mypenry

mypenry

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:55 AM

I am soon buying an External HDD to use with my desk top computer, running Windows XP
If I download an application can I install on to the new HDD , and run it from the new external HDD..?

Thanks .
Mypenry

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 08:39 AM

Yes you can, but that does not mean you can go from computer to computer using the program. When a program is installed it make modification to Windows registry. This allows Windows to access the program when you start the program in the Program Files or click an icon on the desktop. If you were to move the external drive to another computer those registry entries would not be there, so windows would not know how to handle the program.
The simple answer is yes you can. Just do not expert to move it from computer to computer.
I hope this helps.
"2007 & 2008 Windows Shell/User Award"

#3 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:04 AM

Many Thanks ackaln, for your reply ..

I do not intend to move the application, onto another computer, so it should be Ok,
can you think of any down side that may occur by downloading and running an application from an external HDD..?

Many Thanks .... Mypenry

#4 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:17 AM

If the external hard drive is not attached at startup windows may report an error related to the program(s) on the missing external hard drive.
If it were me I would buy a NAS with an ethernet port and attach it through my LAN\router instead of my USB port. It is a personal thing with me. I just do not care for USB and find Ethernet more reliable.

#5 acklan

acklan

Bleepin' cat's meow

• Members
  • 8,529 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:22 AM

Here is one that supports either. There are several out there. LanDisk 3.5'' Drive Aluminum LAN Enclosure

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:08:58 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:56 AM

The only downside is that for the application to run, the drive must be functioning properly and hooked up to your computer. If the application is "mission-critical" then it would be safer to install it on your case's hard drive, since external drives are more subject by their nature to problems.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#7 mypenry

mypenry
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 211 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:47 PM

Many Thanks to all who replied.... I would be lost with out you Guy's

Mypenry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users