Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

New Ram Instalation

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Johnny252

Johnny252

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:26 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:55 AM

Hello,

I came to find some help!
Ok, i bought some new ram for my computer to replace old ram : (new) SAMSUNG PC 2700 2x1 gb DDR CL2.5 ECC ; (old) SAMSUNG PC2700 2x256mo DDR CL2.5.

So, i opened my computer, took out the old ram and installed the new, i plug all the cables back in and when i presse on the buton to boot up the machine there is no image and it does : beep beep beep beep.

I don't know if my old ram is ECC but apart from that the new ram is supost to be totaly compatible with my computer.

Maybe i need to install the new ram?? I don't know what to do.

Thanks.
Johnny

Moderator Edit: Moved topic to the more appropriate forum. ~ Animal

Edited by Animal, 03 August 2007 - 10:56 AM.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:26 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:01 AM

just a few desktop computers support ECC ram, it's normally only used in servers or some workstations

in addition it's possible your older motherboard doesn't support 1 gig sticks

Edited by DaChew, 03 August 2007 - 05:02 AM.

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 Johnny252

Johnny252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:11 AM

oh, that's very bad thanks for the information.

Is there a site where i can look for ECC desktops compatible?
I'm going to look right now, looks like i'm going to resell my ram...

#4 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:42 AM

Let us know the make and model of your desktop and we'll see what it's capable of using. You can also enter this info at http://www.crucial.com to find out what your system can handle.

Also, let us know the exact numbers on the RAM so we can research which RAM you have (both the old and then new) - to see if that's an issue.

RAM is also sensitive to static discharge. Did you unplug the computer from the wall and ground yourself to the case when installing the RAM?

Finally, it's also possible that the RAM may not be seated properly, so check to make sure that it's solidly in the slots and that the clips on the ends are fully engaged. You can also try with just one stick to see if that works.
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#5 Johnny252

Johnny252
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 3 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:18 AM

yea buy doing researches i fell on the crucial site it said this:
# Maximum Memory Capacity: 4096MB
# Currently Installed Memory: 512MB
# Available Memory Slots: 2
# Number of Banks: 4
# Dual Channel Support: No
# CPU Manufacturer: GenuineIntel
# CPU Family: Intel® Pentium® 4 CPU 2.80GHz Mod]]]]le 2, niveau 9
# CPU Speed: 2793 MHz

Q: Does my computer support ECC memory?

A: No.

Your system does not support ECC. Because ECC and non-ECC modules should not be mixed within a system, install the same type of modules that are already in your system.

so aparently the only probleme is the ECC, going to haft to find some new ones!

Thanks for the help!

#6 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• Members
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:54 AM

standard procedure for adding ram to an older computer, newer ones take newer programs

crucial is ok but I don't trust them that much

first download everest home free edition

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

since this program is no longer updated it will work best with computers at least a year or more old.

Under computer and overclock you need to find this information(using my older computer as an example)

Motherboard Name Asus A7N8X v2.0 Deluxe (5 PCI, 1 AGP Pro, 3 DDR DIMM, Dual LAN, IEEE-1394)

Chipset Properties:
Motherboard Chipset nVIDIA nForce2 Ultra 400
Memory Timings 2-3-3-6 (CL-RCD-RP-RAS)
Command Rate (CR) 1T

SPD Memory Modules:
DIMM1: GeIL CL2-3-3 Ultra-400 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.0-3-3-6 @ 200 MHz)
DIMM3: GeIL CL2-3-3 Ultra-400 256 MB PC3200 DDR SDRAM (2.0-3-3-6 @ 200 MHz)

Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#7 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:00 PM

Everest is great at finding the specs for installed memory including the manufacturer and the specific model, but one thing it can't tell you is at what voltage the RAM is supposed to run with and what it's running at now. It's may be that the new memory needs a higher voltage to run correctly and the motherboard simply can't supply it.

One way to avoid this problem is to research your particular motherboard's specs to determine what RAM voltage range can be supplied and make sure that the RAM you buy will run within these limits. This motherboard information is usually possible only if you purchased you own motherboard.

The other, usually somewhat more expensive way is to buy RAM from an outfit that gaurantees that their memory will work with your particular make/model of computer. This can be done from multiple web vendors. It really pays to shop around to get a good price. The variation in prices is huge ! The vendors will know whether or not your PC needs ECC memory or not and will only supply the right kind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users