Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Slow Computer And Screen Is Flickering (graphics Card Problem?)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 computersaregreat

computersaregreat

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:16 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 04:42 AM

Hi - My display is flickering and it goes off quite frequently. It also causes the computer the hang up when trying to do other tasks. Is there something wrong with my graphics card or driver? I attempted to update the driver and no change. I've tried updating the driver and I get error messages indicating that it can't be done.

I have a Dell 8200 that was purchased in 2003. The graphics card is a NVIDIA GeForce FX5200. Any recommendations on where to start troubleshooting, or should I just go get another graphics card?

Thanks!

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

m

#2 DaChew

DaChew

Visiting Alien

• BC Advisor
  • 10,317 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:06 AM

After making sure that your vga cable is connected good, it's possible that it's going out, I only got a year out of my FX5200
Chewy

No. Try not. Do... or do not. There is no try.

#3 pascor22234

pascor22234

• Members
  • 403 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:25 PM

You didn't say whether your PC is a desktop or a laptop !

It's probably not the driver or any other software.

For the following I'm assuming that your PC is a desktop type:

The only way to be sure that the problem is with the video card hardware is to replace it. That's why you first want to make sure both ends of the video cable are plugged in securely.

Also check that the video card is completely plugged into the motherboard slot. The best way to do this is to remove its hold-down screw, pull the card completely out, push it all the way back into the slot and put the screw back in. Oh yeah, turn off the machine first and remove the video cable from the video card ! Remember to re-attach the video cable and anything else you may have had to remove first to get at the video card.

#4 computersaregreat

computersaregreat
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 30 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:00 PM

It is a desktop Dell 8200. Thanks much! Will give those troubleshooting tips a try. I'll vacuum out everything too - lots of dust in there. Any recommendations on a decent graphics card for a fair price? My son plays a few games on the computer, but nothing too fancy. Thanks again for the help and recommendations.

#5 Sneakycyber

Sneakycyber

Network Engineer

• BC Advisor
  • 6,034 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:16 AM

Posted 04 August 2007 - 12:24 PM

A tip from a previous poster, be careful using a regular vacuum with a computer they create allot of static electricity which can kill components. Using a can of compressed air should work. To completely clean the fan blades you can use isopropyl Alcohol (rubbing alcohol ) and a Q-tip. And as always make sure to unplug your computer and keep yourself grounded to the case either by keeping one hand on the case or by using a grounding strap. Happy cleaning :thumbsup:

Chad Mockensturm 

Systems and Network Engineer

Certified CompTia Network +, A +

#6 apmemo98

apmemo98

• Members
  • 1 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:16 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 05:33 PM

I recently had this same problem on my boss's computer at work on a Dell with an NVidia card. After some troubleshooting and examination, I found 2 capacitors on the card had ruptured, which obviously would cause some problems. The capacitors used on these cards have been known to rupture like this for no reason. If you remove the card, it should be obvious if any of them have failed. Look for the small cans on the board and make sure they all still have flat tops with no fluids or crusts on top. If they have failed, you have 2 choices: replace the card or replace the capacitors (only if you are VERY good with a soldering iron).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users