Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Msn Messenger Acting Strange

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 02:43 AM

OK, so i'm just chatting and surfing the web as usual, and then Comodo comes up with one of its warnings.
it says the Msn Messenger is trying to use Mozilla Firefox throught an OLE automation that can be used to hijack other programs.

I never requested this action, so i click deny. All of a sudden, Firefox cannot connect to the internet. I have to use Internet Explorer. I suspect IRCbot is responsible, becuase i found a program linked to it in my processes on task manager. But if course, i cannot use F-bot to fix it because of problem siwth my temp folder which can be found here

This happens every now and again, i always click deny because i dont think msn would even need to connect to the internet- must be some sort of malware!

Can IRCbot do this? Or is it something else?

Thanks for help in advance
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 buddy215

buddy215

• 13,302 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:52 AM

Do you use Hotmail?
There was a recent Firefox update for Firefox 2, which I don't use, that this warning sounds like what the update was to protect against. I wonder if this is related to the update.
You might want to post a Hijack This log to find the malware if you suspect that it is malware related.
“Every atom in your body came from a star that exploded and the atoms in your left hand probably came from a different star than your right hand. It really is the most poetic thing I know about physics...you are all stardust.”Lawrence M. Krauss
A 1792 U.S. penny, designed in part by Thomas Jefferson and George Washington, reads “Liberty Parent of Science & Industry.”

#3 nigglesnush85

nigglesnush85

• Members
  • 4,371 posts
  •  
  • Local time:02:29 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:30 AM

hello,

I had the same problem using Comodo, when I clicked deny, it booted me of the net, my theory is that when I clicked deny, it stopped traffic through my internet ports.

I eventually started clicking allow, nothing bad happened to the pc, but it comes up again and again every 20 mins or so. if you go into the application filtering, is MSN allowed?
Regards,

Alan.

#4 annabackwards

annabackwards
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:29 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 06:24 PM

Yep, MSN is allowed.

I too think Comodo went into lockdown.....

It is weird though, i just had another program on my computer trying to access the net :S

This is odd coz it doesn't need to, it doesn't have an update feature or anything~it's a game!!!

I will post a HijackThis log, just in case....

Thanks for the advice guys! :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users