Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Trouble With Microsoft Word Processor

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope
  • Local time:10:53 AM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:54 AM

Hi Everybody,

I have been using the word processor in Microsoft ® Works Version 6.0 to do a lot of writing and I have just had a devastating experience with it. :thumbsup:

When I had first started using it I had learned early on that I had better be making a habit of saving my work regularly or the Microsoft Grinch would jump up and tell me how sorry it was that Microsoft Works had encountered a problem and wanted to go home without letting me save my work.

So saving my work after ever third of forth paragraph has become a habit with me, and that's what makes what happened to me today even more puzzling.

I'm running Windows XP home edition with SP2. I had seven or eight IE browsers open doing some research and trying to get some photos downloaded for the project that I'm working on.

SpyBot started telling me about a change that had been made saying "User-Specific browser toolbar value deleted" and something about BarLayout. At the same time whichever IE I was using when that message had popped up would quit letting me copy\paste.

But then when I would close that browser I would get another SpyBot alert saying that that same value had been added. The only action that SpyBot would accept in either case was for me to press the OK key otherwise it just kept spitting back that same alert.

At the same time I was using Yahoo messenger to chat with a friend and things just started going haywire. So I hurried up to save and close everything that I had open and clicked the restart button to turn my PC off just to get everything back under control.

Then comes the devastating thing that I spoke of earlier. :flowers: When I tried to open my document after I had gotten my PC restarted it wouldn't open. Instead I get a little message saying that works can't open the file because it might be in use by another program.

I finally managed to get it to open by using the "recover all text *.* thingy but when It did open...oh my! There were a couple of really messed up paragraphs above the title of my document, and all that remained of the body was about ten % of the rough draft that I had started working from and none of what I had written over the past several days.

This *pointing down* was at the bottom of the document;

Daine's haS
Definition Term
Definition Term
Definition List
Definition List
Address
Address
Blockquote
Blockquote
Preformatted
Preformatted
z-Bottom of Form
z-Bottom of Form
z-Top of Form
z-Top of Form
Times New Roman
Times New Roman
Courier New
Courier New
HP Officejet 4300 series
Letter
Letter
Letter
[none]
[none]
[none]
[none]
<Automatic>
<Automatic>
General Everyday Printing
General Everyday Printing
Microsoft® Works Word Processor
Microsoft® Works Word Processor
wkswp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkswp.exe
C:\Program Files\Microsoft Works\wkswp.exe
winspool
HP Officejet 4300 series
USB001
I HAD A GOOD WEEKEND Ch 1 & 2 Re-Done.wps
I HAD A GOOD WEEKEND Ch 1 & 2 Re-Done.wps
Quill96 Story Group Class

======================================

Has anyone else ever had this happen? :trumpet: Do any of you know of anything that I might be able to do to recover what I lost.

Oh, and one other thing, I had also gotten several "IE Error 8007ffff" error massages when those browsers had gone wacky.

Any help of advice on this thing will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

Do Unto Others Before They Have A Chance To Do Unto You.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:05:53 AM

Posted 05 August 2007 - 11:29 AM

I am not a great authority, but it looks like you may have prematurely closed the Works document especially if you were downloading something that you were incorporating into the text. The garbage at the bottom of the recovered document seems to be formatting information. I doubt that a good saved copy now exists, especially if you have saved over any prior file name.
When I am working on a document that is of much length, I generally do a manual save at a good place to stop (chapter one, for example) and then continue, but rename the file and perform periodic saves to the new file. That way, if one of these doesn't "take" I can at least retrieve a large portion of the text by returning to the saved document (chapter one). Later, I can always merge the major saved portions.
Cheers,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#3 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  
  • Location:In The Treeline 300 Yards Behind You, Tracking Your Every Move Through A Sniper Scope

Posted 06 August 2007 - 04:06 PM

Hi jgweed, Thanks for the reply Boo.

You say that it looks as though I have permanently closed the document...as I have no idea how to do that, how could that have happened? Please tell me how to go about doing that so I can see if I might have done anything even remotely like that and sabotaged my own self.

All of that garbage as you called it looks a lot different when I open that file in wordpad or note pad, and I know that what I'm seeing there is some kind of programing language. Heck when I open it in wordpad or notepad I can't copy/past any of it to show anyone what I'm looking at.

No, I wasn't downloading anything into my document, I have never done that, though I was downloading some photos into my pictures folder and carrying on a conversation on messenger at the time that all of this had happened.

But I still have no idea how that happened...I mean was it something that I did wrong that caused this to happen? And if it was how do I prevent it from happening again in the future?

I always use the manual save feature, and at real regular intervals while I'm working too, because MS Word has jacked me around and I've lost all my work before. Thanks for the idea about making an extra copy of my work, I'll get busy doing that today. Then all I have to do is figure out how to merge things like you just said.

Thanks,

Wendy
TRUST NO ONE...! EXCEPT For The Beloved Computer Geek Helping You In The MALWARE FORUMS.

HP Pavilion 512n [Rescued from a pile of trash on the side of the road] 128 MB SDRAM, 60 GB Hard Drive, Windows XP, Home Edition, SP3, COMODO Anti Vitus and Firewall.

#4 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 06:41 PM

I am not sure what happened, but it does seem that when the file was saved, it was saved in a corrupted state, hence the inclusion of the formatting and the disappearance of what seems a major part of the text itself. You may want to search your hard drive, or the folder in which you habitually save your work to see if there is by some miracle a good file.

You could merge the texts by a simple copy and paste, retaining both sources and saving the new file as yet another name/title.

Since you do a lot of writing, you might seriously consider upgrading your software to a more robust word processor, such as OpenOffice.Org.

Regards,
John

#5 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 06 August 2007 - 08:12 PM

Hi jgweed,

Thanks for your help. I'm checking out OpenOffice as we speak. Thanks for the shove in that direction. I just wish I knew if it was something that I had done that caused my problem or if something evil has invaded my machine.

Thanks again,

Wendy

#6 jgweed

jgweed

• Staff Emeritus
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 07:57 AM

I shouldn't think it was something evil, Wendy; generally, unless specifically designed for it, malware avoids office-like applications. You could, for peace of mind, open Works and copy some text into it, then save it, then copy additional text, etc. to see if the process now works properly.

You might also take a look at Google Docs&*Spreadsheet, especially if you don't need an entire suite or only need a wp with fewer features than OO.o has. Google's D&S is strictly on line, but might be of use to you for that reason. And you can save your documents either there or on your hard drive in several standard formats.
Cheers,
John

#7 Wendy K. Walker

Wendy K. Walker
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 633 posts
  •  

Posted 07 August 2007 - 10:53 PM

Hi jgweed,

Thanks for the reply. Well evil or not something sure got me. I mean it was like something was attacking my IE browsers first though.

I looked at that OpenOffice thing and decided that it would take too much getting used to so I'll just stay with MS Word for now. I have done some more work, saved it and everything seems to be working normally.

I'll just have to remember to be backing everything up to 3.5's as I go too.

Thanks for the help.

Wendy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users