Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Comodo Free Firewallversion 2.4 Vs. Zonealarm Free 6.5.737

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 bloomcounty

bloomcounty

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  
  • Local time:07:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:04 AM

I currently use ZA Free 7.0.302, but due to the size of it (since the Pro stuff is just turned off) and it possibly acting weird, I was going to use ZA Free 6.5.737 on my replacement laptop coming up instead.

Then Comodo Free FirewallVersion 2.4 was recommended to me. But then I saw that it supposedly has a vulnerability that won't be fixed until the next version (if that even).

I also see that it says "after downloading and installing the firewall, just register with us and you will be sent a free license. After activation, this license will never expire." -- so what information do you have to provide to register?

This firewall stuff kind of makes my head spin since I'm no expert, but I'm trying to decide what I should go with between these two on my replacement laptop. Opinions with explanations understandable by a non-expert are appreciated! :flowers:

I am also considering buying the AVG Internet Security, which seems to include a Firewall. How does that one measure up?

I'll have Windows XP Pro, I use Firefox for all internet browsing (except for Windows Updates and the occasional Office Updates), and I have dial-up.

Some A/V, antispyware, etc. programs I plan on using are: SpyBot, Ad-Aware SE Free, AVG A/V Free, AVG Antispyware Free, and maybe Comodo BOClean Anti-Malware Version 4.24 and SpywareBlaster.

Thanks for the help/opinions! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 03 August 2007 - 01:18 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 annabackwards

annabackwards

• Members
  • 1,381 posts
  •  
  • Local time:01:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:49 AM

The only thing you have to provide is your email address.

If you don't want any offers from Comodo, make sure the the box underneath is ticked. I think it says something along the lines of tick this box if you do not want to receive any other offers from Comodo.

The programs you have mentioned will create no problems as i can see, although you should ensure that the WIndows default fire is turned off when using another firewall.

To turn off Windows Firewall, click start>run and type in firewall.cpl then click OK. Click on the circle next to Off(not recommended) then OK.

Don't worry, using any firewall other the Windows one is preferable, as Windows only protects you from incoming threats, not outgoing threats!

About the vulnerability, there will always be one, no matter what firewall you use, as hijackers and other computer bad guys come up with new tactics....but Comodo has worked fine for me and has even alerted me to the fact i have IRCbot (a backdoor trojan/worm)!!!

But about which firewall is better, i don't know. I can't say so because i haven't used the AVG firewall. Although i would expect Comodo to be better, based on the fact that AVG is mainly an anti-virus program, and would therefore concentrate on the virus side of things. That is exactly why i do not use the Trend Micro firewall i have.

I love Mozilla add-ons, they make me feel safe.......try the add-on found here that heps protect you against keyloggers which basically see what you type and can steal your username(s) and passwords.

Hope my opinion helps! Have a great day :thumbsup:
Posted Image

Surf smarter, surf faster, surf safer, surf with Mozilla Firefox

#3 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:33 AM

Thanks for the reply! Any info always help! I will keep in mind your thoughts on Comodo. Hopefully others will have some thoughts on the comparison between the three (and/or more thoughts on Comodo, etc.).

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 03 August 2007 - 01:34 AM.

My stats: Windows XP Home SP2; Firefox 3.0.14 w/ Ad-Block Plus; IE 6.0 (used only for monthly Windows Critical Updates); ZoneAlarm 6.1.744.001 Free; AVG 8.5 A/V Free; SuperAntispyware Free 4.28.1010

#4 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:26 AM

I also just found a link talking about a vulnerability in ZA Free 6.5.737 too. :flowers:

So now I really don't know what to do. I guess using ZA Free 7 is still an option, but it's so big (because of the turned-off Pro stuff you get along with it) and people seem to have problems with it (and it *may* be doing weird stuff for me too).

UPDATE: Just read on the ZA Board the following:
the vulnerability related to the antispyware driver... if you are on ZA free you can just ignore it since there is no spyware protection on the ZAfree

...so I guess it doesn't apply in this case. :trumpet:

But I'm definitely a layman when it comes to this stuff, so any further help is appreciated on all this -- thanks! :thumbsup:

Edited by bloomcounty, 03 August 2007 - 09:55 AM.

#5 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  
  • Local time:09:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:53 AM

Just as no application can be guaranteed to be 100 percent effective in its functionality, so none will completely safe from vulnerabilities. A cautious and informer internet user, along with applications that are 95-98 percent effective is about the optimum you can reasonably expect.
Your choice between the two firewalls will therefore be decided by other factors: ease of use, file size, amount of processing each takes up. Since both of your choices are free, you can certainly give each (one at a time) a two week trial if you want.
I use and recommend Comodo, but others have had good experience with Z/A.
Regards,
John
Whereof one cannot speak, thereof one should be silent.

#6 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:08 AM

I use and recommend Comodo, but others have had good experience with Z/A.

Thanks for the post!

So you don't feel that vulnerability in Comodo linked to above is that vital? (Again, I admit I have no idea what it's talking about...)

Thanks!

#7 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:12 AM

To the best of my knowledge, the vulnerability has not been exploited. Certainly I am not an expert in this area, but from what I read, it is not serious or real enough to warrant changing firewalls.
Regards,
John

#8 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:24 AM

That's good to know -- thanks again!

Ideally, trying using both and making a decision would be best -- but, because of potential problems with uninstalling firewalls and my newbie/layman knowhow, I'd rather pick one and go with that, hopefully based on various pros/cons people may post about both. (I'll also look more closely at the Comodo site where it shows details of the firewall.) So if anybody has any other thoughts on pros/cons of these, I want to hear 'em! :thumbsup:

Also, in addition to SpyBot, Ad-Aware SE Free, AVG A/V Free, AVG Antispyware Free, Comodo BOClean Anti-Malware Version 4.24, and SpywareBlaster, I may be also using Superanitspyware and there's a chance I'll use AVG Anti-Malware Pro or AVG A/V Free & AVG Antispyware Pro together instead of AVG A/V Free & AVG Antispyware Free together. Any conflicts with any of that with any of these three firewalls in question?

Thanks!

Edited by bloomcounty, 03 August 2007 - 11:25 AM.

#9 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:43 AM

Never have more than one firewall operating at a time, since they can conflict. Only have one AV and AS application running its real-time protection; more than one is not only redundant but extremely heavy on resource usage, and can be terribly confusing. You may have, certainly, others (particularly AS applications), and run these "on demand."
Regards,
John

#10 racingfan

racingfan

• Members
  • 22 posts
  •  
  • Local time:10:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 11:48 AM

I prefer Comodo over ZA. I switched from ZA to Comodo about a year ago. My system became infected or I was hacked, not sure which. I ended up losing my hard drive and soon after replacing it I lost my processor. I now have a new, 1yr. now, computer and since getting it I installed Comodo. It's alot easier to use, they have good support site, and the "Default" settings are usually sufficient for us novices! Good luck!

Edited by racingfan, 03 August 2007 - 11:49 AM.

#11 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:17 PM

Thanks for the replies.

jgweed -- Didn't mean to imply trying them out at the same time. :thumbsup: Good to know about only having one real-time AV or AS running at one time. But you don't mean that it's bad to have one AV real-time and one AS real-time running at the same time, do you? I mean, you can have AVG A/V Free (which is real-time, right?) and AVG Antispyware Free (which is real time) both running at the same time, right? If you had AVG Antimalware Pro, then they'd both be running at the same time by default, I think...

racingfan -- Why do you prefer Comodo over ZA? What made you switch? Thanks!

#12 jgweed

jgweed

• Members
  • 28,473 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 12:23 PM

You read what I wrote correctly. Remember that your AV and your AS look for entirely different kinds of footprints when they run, so there is no reason for not having one of each providing real time protection.
AVG Free has real-time protection. AVG A/S free allows a one-month free trail of real-time protection, after which it becomes strictly "on demand."

Regards,
John

#13 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 01:42 PM

You read what I wrote correctly. Remember that your AV and your AS look for entirely different kinds of footprints when they run, so there is no reason for not having one of each providing real time protection.
AVG Free has real-time protection. AVG A/S free allows a one-month free trail of real-time protection, after which it becomes strictly "on demand."

What would be the difference between having:

Option 1 -- AVG Antimalware Pro (which is basically AVG A/V Pro and AVG Antispyware Pro)

Option 2 -- AVG A/V Free *and* AVG Antispyware Pro (well, free at first, then if I like it, I may pay to keep it)

Is it just that with Option 1 I'd also have the tech support for the A/V?

Or is does Option 1 look/work different in that it's all integrated into one program where as Option 2 would be two separate programs needing to be updated/run/etc.?

Right now I use just AVG Free A/V -- so I'm used to that. Would both Option 1 and Option 2 look/work basically the same?

Option 2 is only four bucks more, but I'm wondering if I were ever to revert to the AVG Free A/V after a year or whatever, if it would be problematic with having to uninstall, etc. etc.

Thanks!

#14 Josho

Josho

• Members
  • 60 posts
  •  
  • Local time:12:44 PM

Posted 03 August 2007 - 10:45 PM

Hi.

If you want my opinion. I am using Comodo Firewall after using Zonealarm Internet Security Suite for a year. I find Comodo does an excellent job! and the upcoming version (3.0) Will be even better!

I am using Comodo Firewall, NOD32 Antivirus, and SuperAntispyware Pro. and I have never had problems. However, AVG Antivirus is an excellent Free Anti virus. Use it :D If you are a freeware user.

But, If you want to pay for Antivirus, and your good with computers, go with NOD32, it is the BEST. Far better then AVG Antivirus PRO if your gonna pay, Read the review!. Or go with Kaspersky AV if your a novice, which is the second choice if you wana pay. Since currently NOD32's UI is very complex. Well, I dont think it is but thats what reviews say.

I would definitely choose Comodo over Zonealarm. Like I said, I even ditched the Security Suite for Comodo & NOD32 :-) Less resources.

Also read this: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/102164/the-best-of-the-best/ (I respect what Spy Senty Said here)

goodluck mate.

Josh.

Edited by Josho, 03 August 2007 - 10:49 PM.

Chess, Outdoor Sport, Games & Computers.

#15 bloomcounty

bloomcounty
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 672 posts
  •  

Posted 04 August 2007 - 09:39 AM

I would definitely choose Comodo over Zonealarm. Like I said, I even ditched the Security Suite for Comodo & NOD32 :-) Less resources.

Thanks for the post! So, to dig a little deeper (hope you don't mind), *why* do you prefer Comodo over ZA? What was bad about ZA? Good about Comodo?

Keep in mind that I'm not considering the ZA suite, but Zonealarm Free 6.5.737 (or perhaps 6.1.744.001).

Thanks again! :thumbsup:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users