Register a free account to unlock additional features at BleepingComputer.com
Welcome to BleepingComputer, a free community where people like yourself come together to discuss and learn how to use their computers. Using the site is easy and fun. As a guest, you can browse and view the various discussions in the forums, but can not create a new topic or reply to an existing one unless you are logged in. Other benefits of registering an account are subscribing to topics and forums, creating a blog, and having no ads shown anywhere on the site.

Click here to Register a free account now! or read our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Photo

Lost All My Songs On Itunes

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 sharpie

sharpie

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  
  • Local time:04:33 PM

Posted 02 August 2007 - 10:34 PM

hello-
i was listening to music on my itunes a few days ago i turned off my computer and when i turned it on the next day all of my songs on my itnes were gone. i still have all of my songs on my ipod, but i dont have any on my itunes. i plugged my ipod in to my computer and itunes recognizes it, but i dont know how to put the songs back on to itunes.
when i go through \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music folder and try to upload the songs in to itunes i get a message that says "the itunes library cannot be imported. you do not have enough access privelages for this operation"

all of my songs are still on my ipod, but when i plug it in the songs do not trransfer back on to the computer.

thank you-

BC AdBot (Login to Remove)

#2 usasma

usasma

Still visually handicapped (avatar is memory developed by my Dad

• BSOD Kernel Dump Expert
  • 25,091 posts
  •  

Posted 03 August 2007 - 05:51 AM

A bunch of suggestions for backing up (and restoring) your iTunes: http://www.google.com/search?q=backup+rest...lient=firefox-a
My browser caused a flood of traffic, sio my IP address was banned. Hope to fix it soon. Will get back to posting as soon as Im able.

- John  (my website: http://www.carrona.org/ )**If you need a more detailed explanation, please ask for it. I have the Knack. **  If I haven't replied in 48 hours, please send me a message. My eye problems have recently increased and I'm having difficult reading posts. (23 Nov 2017)FYI - I am completely blind in the right eye and ~30% blind in the left eye.<p>If the eye problems get worse suddenly, I may not be able to respond.If that's the case and help is needed, please PM a staff member for assistance.

#3 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 10 August 2007 - 06:15 AM

thank you for the link usasma, but i am still having trouble transfering my itunes library to itunes. i asked some questions on an ipod forum, but they werent much help. i have tried Dropping a folder-full of song files onto iTunes window, using "Import" from File menu, and using "Add" from File menu,. i get a message that says "the file itunes library cannot be imported because it does not appear to be a valid exported file.

i always thought that i could just plug my ipod in and all the songs would return to itunes, but i dont even remember removing the songs from itunes.......

anyone have any ideas?

-thank you

Edited by sharpie, 10 August 2007 - 06:18 AM.

#4 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 10 August 2007 - 09:43 PM

Hi sharpie,

I am not sure if you are telling us the songs are gone from just your iTunes library or if they are entirely missing from your computer. Are your music files still on your computer or are they gone?

If they are still on your computer go to the itunes file menu and select Add Folder To Library. Select your iTunes music folder and hit the OK button. That should reread your library and add the songs back into iTunes. Let us know if this works OK?

If your music files are no longer on your computer and you did not remove them then please step over to this link and follow the instructions in this post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If your music files are gone from your computer than you may have serious problems.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#5 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 11 August 2007 - 05:07 PM

Hi sharpie,

I am not sure if you are telling us the songs are gone from just your iTunes library or if they are entirely missing from your computer. Are your music files still on your computer or are they gone?

If they are still on your computer go to the itunes file menu and select Add Folder To Library. Select your iTunes music folder and hit the OK button. That should reread your library and add the songs back into iTunes. Let us know if this works OK?

If your music files are no longer on your computer and you did not remove them then please step over to this link and follow the instructions in this post:

http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/t/34773/preparation-guide-for-use-before-using-malware-removal-tools-and-requesting-help/

If your music files are gone from your computer than you may have serious problems.

ronbo-
i tried adding a file again and it wouldnt work. i think alpl the songs are on my computer because i have the same amount of gig space that i did when all the songs were on my itunes. i have been running the anti malware that the link suggested for a long time now before i even had this problem.

is there a way that i could just plug my ipod in to my usb (my ipod still has all my songs and files on it) and transfer my songs back on to my computer?

thanks

#6 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 13 August 2007 - 12:58 AM

please help

#7 Ronbo

Ronbo

• Members
  • 333 posts
  •  
  • Local time:03:33 PM

Posted 13 August 2007 - 09:41 PM

Hey sharpie,

Didn't mean to neglect you but yesterday was my birthday and I was too busy to post.

I know you said that you think your songs are still on your computer but lets make sure they are before we do anything else, OK? If your songs are not there adding them back on from your ipod may cause you to lose them also. Better safe than sorry.

iTunes by default stores your music in the My Music folder in My Documents. Go to the My Music folder in My Documents and look inside the iTunes folder and see if your files are still there.

If they are gone and you or someone else you know did not remove them than you have to find out what did remove them. That would mean posting a HijackThis log for one of the HJT people to look at in case you have something bad on your system doing some major damage. Better to approach this with a system you know is clean rather than risk having it happen again.

If they are still there, thats great, lets try something else.

Open iTunes and go to the Edit menu and click Preferences. Then choose the Advanced tab, on this window look on the General tab and find where iTunes thinks your music library is. If it shows a different location than where your music actually is, then change that to the proper location and then add that folder to your library again.

You said you tried adding a song back into your library but did you try adding the whole music folder like I suggested? If you did not, then try that. Having iTunes scan that folder may be all you need to restore your library. Please try doing this simple step.

When troubleshooting something always work through the simple things first even if you don't think they will work. It can save you a lot of headaches later on.

Please post back and let us know if this works or not.
There is no justice, there is just us.

#8 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 21 August 2007 - 11:19 PM

if i go to mymusic/itunes library itunes opens up with nothing on it, but if i go to mymusic/itunes music library then a web page opens up with all this stuff on it- :flowers:
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" ?>
<!DOCTYPE plist (View Source for full doctype...)>
- <plist version="1.0">
- <dict>
<key>Major Version</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Minor Version</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Application Version</key>
<string>7.3.2</string>
<key>Features</key>
<integer>1</integer>
<key>Show Content Ratings</key>
<true />
<key>Music Folder</key>
<string>file://localhost/C:/Documents%20and%20Settings/T.Fox/My%20Documents/My%20Music/iTunes/iTunes%20Music/</string>
<key>Library Persistent ID</key>
<string>421470338D3634B0</string>
<key>Tracks</key>
<dict />
<key>Playlists</key>
- <array>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Library</string>
<key>Master</key>
<true />
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>36</integer>
<key>Playlist Persistent ID</key>
<string>421470338D3634B1</string>
<key>Visible</key>
<false />
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Audiobooks</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>69</integer>
<string>421470338D3634BE</string>
<key>Visible</key>
<false />
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
<key>Audiobooks</key>
<true />
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Movies</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>63</integer>
<string>421470338D3634BC</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
<key>Movies</key>
<true />
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Movies</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>72</integer>
<string>29F5AD0EDA404495</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Music</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>60</integer>
<string>421470338D3634BB</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
<key>Music</key>
<true />
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Music Videos</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>48</integer>
<string>421470338D3634B7</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
<key>Smart Info</key>
<data>AQEAAwAAAAIAAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA==</data>
<key>Smart Criteria</key>
<data>U0xzdAABAAEAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAADwAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABEAAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB AAAAAAAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>My Top Rated</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>39</integer>
<string>421470338D3634B3</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
<key>Smart Info</key>
<data>AQEAAwAAAAIAAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA==</data>
<data>U0xzdAABAAEAAAABAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABkAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABEAAAAAAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAB AAAAAAAAADwAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Party Shuffle</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>51</integer>
<string>421470338D3634B8</string>
<key>Party Shuffle</key>
<true />
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Podcasts</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>54</integer>
<string>421470338D3634BA</string>
<key>Podcasts</key>
<true />
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Recently Played</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>45</integer>
<string>421470338D3634B5</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
<key>Smart Info</key>
<data>U0xzdAABAAEAAAABAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABcAAAIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABELa4tri2uLa7//////////gAAAAAACTqA La4tri2uLa4AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAABAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA=</data>
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>Top 25 Most Played</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>42</integer>
<string>421470338D3634B4</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
<key>Smart Info</key>
<data>AQABAwAAABkAAAAZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAA==</data>
<data>U0xzdAABAAEAAAABAAAAAQAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAQBAAACAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA</data>
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>TV Shows</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>66</integer>
<string>421470338D3634BD</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
<key>TV Shows</key>
<true />
</dict>
- <dict>
<key>Name</key>
<string>TV Shows</string>
<key>Playlist ID</key>
<integer>75</integer>
<string>29F5AD0EDA40449E</string>
<key>All Items</key>
<true />
</dict>
</array>
</dict>
</plist>
and i have no idea what that means-----

i was searching through another site and i found this----

Start with the iPod disconnected from the computer - DON'T CONNECT IPOD YET
open iTunes
open iTunes Preferences - this blocks iTunes from seeing an iPod connection; leave the preferences window up and running
connect the iPod to the computer, wait about 15 seconds before continuing
open 'My Computer'
Tools menu, Folder Options, View tab, enable 'show hidden files /folders'
open iPod icon in My Computer
open iPod_Control folder
you should see a folder named Music
drag this folder to somewhere on your computer hard drive
after the copy completes, right-click the new Music folder on your hard drive and select 'Properties'
clear the checkmark next to 'Hidden'
Close that explorer window
eject iPod from System tray "Safely Remove Hardware" icon. This icon looks like a small gray rectangle with a green arrow floating above it. It's only there when a removable device (like the iPod in this case) is attached to the computer. Right-click & select 'Safely remove..', then click 'Stop' in the next window, OK in the next window, and then Close to complete the ejection.
disconnect the iPod from the computer

go back to iTunes, cancel the preferences window
File menu \ Add folder to Library \ find that Music folder copied over from the iPod

Your iTunes library should be back in action!

after i tried it my songs were on my computerbut they were in individual files and not in play lists and instead of the title of the song there was just numbers....?

.................................................................................................................................
on that same site there was this-

Long time forum regular Otto42 has a java script/program that can also retrieve the playlists themselves from the iPod as well. Here are his instructions and a link to the most recent thread discussing this tricky process:

] This is really useful when you're pulling all the songs off of an iPod to put them back into iTunes, because you lost your library or anything along those lines. Come up with your own reason for using it.

] Download this program:
http://otto.homedns.org:8888/iTunes/iPodGetXML.zip
(If you can't download it, try again later. The connection goes up and down a lot.)

] Now, put the iPod into Disk Mode or otherwise access the iPod as a drive. Make sure you can see hidden files, then go to the drive and the iPod_Control folder and find the iTunesDB file. Copy it to your PC.

] Put the copied iTunesDB file in the same directory as this program, then run the program. It'll read the iTunesDB, get all the playlists, and create an XML file for each one. Now just import those XML files into iTunes to recreate the playlists.

but i can never get that link to open. do you know if there are any other programs that can retrieve playlists from ipods..........

thank you so much for all of your help :thumbsup:

Edited by sharpie, 21 August 2007 - 11:21 PM.

#9 sharpie

sharpie
  • Topic Starter

• Members
  • 702 posts
  •  

Posted 24 August 2007 - 12:46 AM

anyone?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users